Entering Investment Transactions

Barry Hayden

01 Jan, 2016 06:25 PM

I am a new user, and have downloaded a trial version of the Money dance software. I am on a Mac. I have used various other financial management software for the last 25 years. I AM NOT TRYING TO MIGRATE FROM ONE PROGRAM TO ANOTHER. I am trying to start from scratch for Jan. 1, 2016. I have copied over my account totals and in the process of entering my securities into Moneydance. I have read the User Guide and see no information on entering securities into the investment accounts. I have spent about 1-1/2 hours trying to do this and have been unsuccessful. The various screens look very intuitive, but I can't get them to work. I suspect certain windows only work when one selects the correct ways to perform the entries. But I find the User Guide lacking in information on how to perform certain tasks. Not being able to perform certain simple tasks is very discouraging. Having no telephone support adds to the frustration. I have had limited success in tackling support issues in the manner you are requiring, but I'll give it a try before I move in other directions.

1. 1 Posted by Barry Hayden on 01 Jan, 2016 06:32 PM

I don't know yet, but I will give it a try. Thank you for the prompt reply.

2. 2 Posted by Barry Hayden on 01 Jan, 2016 06:48 PM

This is no way to do business.

Please call when you have time 314-569-5040

3. 3 Posted by Barry Hayden on 01 Jan, 2016 06:50 PM

This is a 10 minute problem that could takes days doing it this way.

4. 4 Posted by Barry Hayden on 01 Jan, 2016 07:13 PM

I bought a PC about 1980. I used IBM, Compaq, Toshiba, Hewlett-Packard and finally Dell. In 2008, I switched to Apple--mainly because of M/S's Vista operating system, and the bad support system that Dell had. Dell had a bad support system, but they just couldn't change it. They knew the problem, but they thought they couldn't afford the better support system. Their growth compared to Apple has been miniscule. Do you know why? "Customs Support", and they get paid for it with "Applecare." Their customer support is immediate, and that is the best marketing tool any computer oriented company can do. Computer programming is complicated, and there are no grey areas. It's Black or it's White. And once the customer knows, it's simple.

I read somewhere in your literature that you can't provide phone support because you are a small company. You got that backwards--you are a small company because you don't provide phone support. You'll never have a better opportunity than NOW. The almighty QUICKEN is sliding away. They ignored all their Mac customers because they were a small part of the pie. But Apple has gained enormously in market share, and Quicken is losing all their Mac customers. Guess what--Quicken is trying to sell their company. WAKE UP!

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 01 Jan, 2016 08:16 PM

Quicken is largely a U.S. based offering, it has been sold in other markets but is often adapted and supported by a local company. Moneydance is used worldwide, offering World Wide phone support for a product is a vast undertaking and beyond the capability of all but the largest corporations.

Investments are documented from page 45 of the manual and I would say is reasonably done.

You set up an investment account, you set up securities, you add securities to the investment account then you can add transactions to the investment account for these securities.

6. 6 Posted by Hayden, C. Barr... on 01 Jan, 2016 08:49 PM

Now I understand why I have a problem. Your last sentence states exactly what I thought when I started the process. Unfortunately, that is a gross oversimplification of the process, and is about equal in detail to the user guide. You are a computer expert. I am a homebuilder. Your lack of empathy leads me to believe that you don’t care if I use this program or not.

Good Luck, Goodbye, and Happy New Year

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 01 Jan, 2016 09:00 PM

I also happen to be just a user of Moneydance, and what I stated is just a high level overview, hopefully to trigger in your mind that you may have left one of those stages out. people oftm seem to leave out the step of creating the security or just or forget to add it to the investment account

8. 8 Posted by Hayden, C. Barr... on 01 Jan, 2016 09:09 PM

I didn’t need a high level overview. I needed some detail. No need to reply, I’m keeping my existing software for the time being. Maybe Moneydance will decide to offer Customer Support some time in the future.

cbh

9. System closed this discussion on 01 Apr, 2016 09:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Jan, 2021 12:26 AM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM