Importing charts of acounts

srickaby

10 Jan, 2016 11:26 AM

I am evaluating MoneyDance as a replacement for a very old Mac-based accounting program, and it looks very promising indeed.

There does not seem to be a facility for importing an existing chart of accounts as, for example, a CSV file. If this feature does not exist, maybe it is something you might consider as a future enhancement?

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 10 Jan, 2016 01:29 PM

Hello,

You can import a CSV file by using the Text Import extension, which can be installed by going to Extensions -> Manage Extensions from the Moneydance menu bar. When using the extension, you will need to specify which column contains what kind of data. Note that CSV files must be formatted perfectly for the import to be successful, without any extraneous data.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by srickaby on 10 Jan, 2016 02:02 PM

Hi Ethan

Thank you for very rapid response.

>You can import a CSV file by using the Text Import extension, which can be installed by going to Extensions -> Manage Extensions from the Moneydance menu bar. When using the extension, you will need to specify which column contains what kind of data. Note that CSV files must be formatted perfectly for the import to be successful, without any extraneous data.

I looked at that, but it looks as if the text import extension can only import transaction data, not charts of accounts ('categories', in MD-speak). I've just checked again, and the second dialog of the text importer requires you to specify an (actual) account. This makes me think that the text import extension could only import transaction data.

My need, if migrating from older software to MoneyDance, is to import a long list of account categories. UK accountants usually refer to this as a 'chart of accounts'. I think MoneyDance refers to them within the program as 'categories'.

I have only been successful in importing categories if they are attached to dummy transactions. This is a sot of workaround, I suppose, but is cumbersome.

Thanks for your help.

--
    Steve

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 10 Jan, 2016 04:40 PM

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I think this may be difficult to achieve with that extension. However, a third party has created another CSV importing extension that you could give a try, which has more detailed importing options. You can download it from https://github.com/stant/mdcsvimporter2015/releases/tag/v19

With this extension, you may first have to set up the import process by creating a custom reader for this particular CSV file. You should however be able to select things like categories for your transactions without much difficulty.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

4. 4 Posted by srickaby on 11 Jan, 2016 11:15 AM

Hi Ethan

Great stuff - I'll look at that and report back.

Very encouraged about MD, but of course cautious in looking for a replacement for an accounting program I've used since the early 1990s.

With thanks
    --
    Steve

5. 5 Posted by srickaby on 11 Jan, 2016 04:46 PM

Hi Ethan

This importer - as far as I've been able to fox out without documentation - also requires you to specify an account, so is transaction-oriented. See screenshot.

Importing a list of account categories would be a basic requirement for anyone migrating an existing accounting package other than those that MD specifically supports (Quicken etc.), so maybe it's something you could consider as an enhancement for incorporation into the program itself?

Steve

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 14 Feb, 2016 05:40 PM

The CSV import is for importing transactions not the list of accounts.

Does the version of Quicken you are using have an option to export to a QIF file? If so you should be able to use that to transfer the chart of accounts.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

7. 7 Posted by srickaby on 14 Feb, 2016 06:12 PM

Hi Ben

I'm not using Quicken: I'm contemplating migrating from a very old Mac accounting package called MacMoney, which only runs on Classic. It can import QIF, but only appears to be able to export in CSV format.

8. 8 Posted by Ben Spencer on 14 Feb, 2016 06:21 PM

Then I do not think it is possible to transfer the chart of accounts from MacMoney to Moneydance.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 9 Posted by srickaby on 14 Feb, 2016 06:28 PM

I think you are right, Ben. I will just have to recreate the COA by hand. It's no great shakes. Thanks.

10. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 14 Feb, 2016 06:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac