Conversion From QuickenMac2017 Plan?

TRudolph

12 Aug, 2019 12:47 AM

Hello again all,

As with any 'major' app or OS migration, I am just now getting back to having more time to research this one (re: my previous guest post “General Questions About Moneydance “). Thanks again for the excellent feedback provided to date. After re-reading that post, researching the Knowledge Base and playing around a bit with the app I am hoping I can get some more good feedback about a ‘rough’ plan to accurately get most of my QuickenMac2017 data into MoneyDance (MD).

In the previous post, it was discussed that QM2017 will not export a QIF file. I neglected to mention/discuss/inquire of the ability of QM2017 to export investment transaction registers (in addition to all other registers) as a .csv with the following fields:

Scheduled
Split
Date
Type
Security/Payee
Description
Amount
Account

If I were to:
1) First create exactly matched account names in MD;
2) link the necessary investment and bank accounts within MD; then
3) modify the Type field name in the .csv file to "Action"; and
4) change the Quicken transaction types (above) in the .csv to the MD Action types (Buy, BuyXfr, Sell, SellXfr, Div, DivReinvest, DivXfr, Short Cover, MiscInc, MiscExp, Xfr)…

Q1. Would that take care of the investment portion? (If so, this may be (or a portion of) what dwg was referencing regarding ‘reconstructing’ windows .csv files to work(?).) (I suspect I may have to also do some work on the “…Xfr” action types?)

If that approach works for the investments, I suspect I could do the same for the other individual account registers making sure that all accounts were pre-created with matching names in MD before beginning.

Q2. Would this work and would it be the most expedient way to do an accurate conversion?

Q3. Also, if so, should I do all the bank and credit card accounts as a single .csv or individually (as long as all accounts (or account shells) were already created in MD)?

Thanks again in advance for any and all feedback.

Regards,

Tom

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 12 Aug, 2019 03:00 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I'm not familiar with the Mac version of Quicken but in the Windows version you can export to what they call an Excel compatible file. This is nothing more than a CSV file.

The bad news is that the files that I have seen produced by this are not consistent in terms of the data layout, so they need work to resolve this to start with.

In Moneydance, Bank, Credit Card, Asset and Liability account registers are really just a straightforward table structure, so it is relatively simple to create something that can take the csv file and use this to load the data. Investment accounts are not this simple. The action field determines what fields are active and what fields are not, and also what fields are mandatory, so it is not possible to just overlay the data as you can in other types of registers. If you have pristine CSV data that is structured in a single line per transaction then there are add ins for Excel that can write the data into a suitable QIF file, getting the data into the needed structure is the challenge and from what I have seen in the Windows environment, and with an older version of Moneydance, requires some programming skills (VBA if you were to do it in Excel for example).

2. System closed this discussion on 11 Nov, 2019 03:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Feb, 2020 05:15 PM
17 Feb, 2020 05:04 PM
17 Feb, 2020 04:21 PM