Import assigning Investment type to an account and cannot be changed

jess

13 Nov, 2019 04:33 PM

Hi

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I've looked and couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to import from a Banktivity QIF file to Moneydance. I noticed the overall balance was wrong and then saw that some accounts had got the transactions import messed up - negative where they should be positive. It's only happened with accounts Moneydance marked as Investment accounts. I thought I'd start again, but this time change them to Asset accounts (I'm not tracking any securities). These accounts are all in Banktivity as Investment Accounts.

When I ran the Import new account set (from a QIF) up pops the account list. I can change Bank, Credit Card, Asset, Liability but NOT investment. The only change I can make to investment is the currency.

Does anyone know a way round this?

Thanks in advance.

1. 1 Posted by jess on 22 Nov, 2019 01:03 PM

Hi

Any idea when I’ll hear back from someone?

Kind regards
    Jess

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 Dec, 2019 03:13 PM

Hi Jess,
    I'm so sorry that your question didn't get answered in a timely manner.

It sounds like this may be a bug that has been fixed in a recent preview version of Moneydance. Would you mind trying the preview build from the following link? https://infinitekind.com/preview

Changing the account type in Moneydance is possible with a bit of a hack, but it's not usually pretty since investment accounts have a lot more structure than all the other account types. If the account only includes transfers in and out and not buy/sell/dividend transactions then it can be done, but I think it'd be best to just fix the original problem.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

3. 3 Posted by jess on 13 Dec, 2019 11:32 AM

Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the program from your link and have V 1019.4 (1896) but running the import has the same problem; I can alter all account types apart from the ones identified as Investment accounts. Were you under the impression that I’d have the option to change these types too?

Cheers
    Jess

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sean Reilly on 16 Dec, 2019 04:45 PM

Hi Jess,

No, it's not possible to change the types of investment accounts in the import window. There is another way to do it, but it'd be better to address the initial problem of the amounts being reversed first. Can you confirm whether the version you just downloaded has the current sign on imported transactions? If not, it would be helpful to see a small part of the QIF file (it's a plain text file) as well as a description (or screenshot) of the correct transaction field values for that part of the file.

Thanks,
    Sean

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac