Account duplicates called [Name]X created on import from Quicken

Anne

07 Mar, 2020 04:39 PM

Hello,

I just imported all my accounts from Quicken 2003 (via QIF file) into Moneydance for the first time. Each of my three accounts was imported correctly, but three new accounts were also created called [Name]X to correspond to each account called [Name]. As in, I had a "Cash" account and now I also have a "CashX" account. The [Name]X accounts have only a handful of transacations in them, which include balance adjustments as well as a few other random things, and originally belonged to the corresponding [Name] account.

I tried making a new balance adjustment to zero out the Cash account, and Moneydance automatically assigned CashX as the category, and then correctly entered the transaction in both registers as though I had made the balance adjustment by transferring money from Cash to CashX, thus zeroing the Cash balance.

My question: is this creation of shadow accounts for the purpose of balance adjustment something that's supposed to happen, or is it for some other purpose, or is it a glitch? Do I need to keep the extra accounts, or can I migrate their transactions back to the "parent" account each came from and go back to having only my original accounts?

I can't find anything on the forums here about accounts with X in their name so I hope you can help me. Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 07 Mar, 2020 04:48 PM

Hello,

Quicken is somewhat inconsistent with how it makes QIF files between versions, so that may be the cause of this. (I honestly don't remember the export nuances of the 2003 version at this point.) From what you describe, if all of these transactions should be in your main accounts, I don't see any problem with moving them there and then deleting these extra accounts. Go to these 'X' accounts, select all of the transactions, right-click on the selection, choose Batch Change -> Account, and choose your main account. After you've moved all of the transactions, you can delete these now empty accounts from Tools -> Accounts from the menu bar.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Anne on 07 Mar, 2020 04:53 PM

Thank you, Ethan. This works, so I'm all set.
    Cheers!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 07 Mar, 2020 04:54 PM

That's great to hear! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

4. Ethan closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2020 04:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac