Categories and Tags ignored in QIF when "File is Downloaded"

tgilbert666

15 Mar, 2020 01:30 AM

Hi,
I'm using md 2019.4(1897) in Australia where I'm only able to get CSV or QIF from any of my banks. (No DirectConnect nor OFX/QFX available). As a result, I've created some Excel macros over my decades with Quicken to augment and produce very polished QIF files. I've attached a sample for play purposes.

Is there a method that will import these transactions **as unconfirmed and maintain the category/tag information?**

My testing shows the following:
File | Import . . . "File is Downloaded" UNchecked, I get the transaction data as expected, but the transactions are not marked as "Unconfirmed".
File | Import . . . "File is Downloaded" checked, I get the transactions marked as unconfirmed, but the category is set to the Account default category and the tag is ignored.

I really like the merge capability, but it appears that I am excluded from being able to use it productively? (And it doesn't "learn" in a fashion that matches my experience, so I prefer my own historic learning logic embedded in my Excel macros to produce polished qif files already populated with suitable categories/tags)

I've also tried the following extensions using the attached file:

Import List v14 - Breunig - either hangs or does nothing. Several results of each!

Text Import v103 - Infinite Kind & Friends - doesn't seem to handle qif (?) and ignores categories and tags in CSV

Import File - doesn't handle qif and ignores categories and tags in CSV

CSV Importer v22 - Towianski - hmm, not even sure - it appears to be named differently in the various Extension lists depending upon whether I choose "Extensions", "Available" or "Installed"??

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 15 Mar, 2020 02:02 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The inbuilt QIF importer is the only tool for importing QIF type files.

File is downloaded being checked is used when the file has been downloaded from a financial institution. It is expected that the institution does not include category information of if it does that it is rubbish, hence Moneydance does not pick it up.

When it is unchecked it indicates that the file has come from another Financial program and it is expected that categories have been assigned and the data confirmed.

The inbuilt CSV importer and the text importer do not import category data as far as I can recall. I believe Stan's importer can bring in category information, I do not expect it would mark transactions as confirmed.

The import list is a monitoring tool it does not do any of importing itself.

Stan's extension will not appear in the available list because it is not hosted on the Moneydance site, nor will it appear on updates for the same reason.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• MD_TestQIF.qif 1.49 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac