How to Create Report by Category

Richard Smurlo

25 Mar, 2020 06:21 PM

Hi, I've downloaded Moneydance and transferred my quicken data into it. I'm trying to create a report by Category. Can you walk me through how to do this?

1. 1 Posted by Richard Smurlo on 25 Mar, 2020 06:27 PM

I would like to refine my question. How do I create a report "by Category" for a specific date range (e.g. 1/1/2019 through 12/31/2019)?

2. 2 Posted by mhoggie on 25 Mar, 2020 06:33 PM

just a user,
    There are several reports where you can do this.
    I would use the Income and Expense Report. Select the date range and the categories needed. Be sure to click none first in case other items have been selected in the past. The Graphs and Reports are under the Tools tab

3. 3 Posted by Richard Smurlo on 25 Mar, 2020 06:37 PM

When I do what you stated above, I don't see the option to select which categories to include, nor can I tell it to Group By Category.

I only see Time periods (Week, Day) in the Group By dropdown.

I only see the ability to Filter by Tag, not by Category.

4. 4 Posted by mhoggie on 25 Mar, 2020 06:50 PM

just a user,

Just set the date range you need, select ALL accounts or specific as needed. Set group as needed, then at the bottom click None to deselect everything and over to the right you sill either see TYPE or INDIVIDUAL. If it says TYPE, then you already see a listing of all the categories, if you see BY INDIVIDUAL, click it to reveal the TYPE option and the category listing. Then click GENERATE and your off to the races.

5. 5 Posted by Richard Smurlo on 25 Mar, 2020 06:56 PM

Thanks! It was the BY INDIVIDUAL option that was getting me.

Appreciate your help!

6. 6 Posted by mhoggie on 25 Mar, 2020 07:59 PM

just a user,

Good, just don't click the TAX option, it turns all the individual selection off.

Also, there are several reports just like the Income and Expense report that will do the same for you. You might try some of the others and see if the output is more to your needs.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 25 Mar, 2020 09:44 PM

The Tax option is there to work with any categories that you specifially mark as tax related, so it automatically chooses those.

It works well if you want to create specific tax reports. I have set the categories that I need to include in tax reports and then set up a saved report by fiscal year. If I need any new categories for the report I just have to then set them up as Tax related.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac