simple investment tracking

jaynewman.china

08 Aug, 2020 03:00 PM

I'm testing a switch to MD. For investments my tracking currently (in SEE Finance 1.1) is quite simple - I don't really want to track each individual share, I just update the total value in each account every week or month. When I imported my accounts, that didn't work. What do you recommend for a low maintenance method of investment tracking? Is it possible to import everything as cash transactions? Is there a better way?
thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 08 Aug, 2020 09:06 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Investments in Moneydance are geared around buy and sell transactions to change the investment and with price changing the values.

If all you want to do is simply maintain a $ value, you might like to look to Asset accounts to see if they would work better for you.

2. 2 Posted by jaynewman.china on 09 Aug, 2020 09:08 AM

thanks DWG, will give that a try.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 09 Aug, 2020 09:20 AM

I have a couple of fund investment that it is not practical to handle the individual investments within those funds- it would involve a lot of manual data entry to do so.

To fit how Moneydance works the best in Investment accounts I built a spreadsheet that works with the monthly value of the fund to derive a per unit price which I enter into Moneydance.

I wanted to use an Investment account as it shows the changes in the investment's overall value better.

4. 4 Posted by jaynewman.china on 09 Aug, 2020 09:31 AM

Up to now, I've used finance programs to maintain the data in a sensible
    form and to view it graphically. For budgets and category tracking, I
    export to Excel to manipulate for reports, because that was always easier
    than building a report that matched what I wanted to see. For investments,
    I mostly track the ups and downs graphically for a whole account or all
    accounts grouped together. But I track individual shares or funds in the
    website of the broker, and I built another spreadsheet with individual
    shares and funds for tracking risk - i.e., what percentage of investments
    are in equities, bonds, cash on a given date. But I think these methods
    have simply developed because of the characteristics of the program I was
    using (SEE Finance). If I stick with MD (not yet a foregone conclusion) I
    imagine I'll develop new approaches to fit its characteristics.

Thanks again

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 09 Aug, 2020 09:44 AM

I see a lot of expectations that in a single piece of software you will be able to do everything.

It is not a realistic expectation in my view, just how much you will be able to do depends on the software but I do not see it ever being 100% for anything other than the simplest of requirements.

I have got Moneydance to do most of the text based reporting I need, a few things it cannot but that is more due to the rules we have here, only software with a custom report writer could hope to do it.

I use Moneydance plus some spreadsheets to maintain the data I need, I think for many they will need to use a combination of tools and I find the combination of Moneydance plus spreadsheet software to be the tools that works for me. I do put the spreadsheets into Moneydance's data path so they will be included in any backup.

6. System closed this discussion on 08 Nov, 2020 09:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

15 Jan, 2021 09:00 PM
15 Jan, 2021 08:40 PM
15 Jan, 2021 08:01 PM