Report Generation Filtered by Category

Brook

21 Sep, 2021 01:01 AM

I am looking to switch from Quicken 2015 and it looks like I can make Moneydance do everything I need except generate reports filtered by category. The Transaction report would be great if it included the ability to filter by category. What is the purpose of categories in this program. It seems to be the only field that can't be used as an option in a report.

1. 1 Posted by tgilbert666 on 21 Sep, 2021 01:21 AM

I'm a fellow user, not support.
    Try the Income & Expenses either Summary or Detailed, and filter under either
    Show: "By Individual"
    OR
    if your categories are setup for Tax-related, check the "Only Tax Related". checkbox.

Does that suffice?

2. 2 Posted by bjulias on 21 Sep, 2021 02:04 AM

Thanks for your response. The report doesn’t mention category, much less allow me to filter by it. At least the Transactions report shows the category. The only solution I can find is to run a Transaction report, save it as a csv file, and use Excel to sort by category to get the information I need.

It makes no sense to be able to filter by Memo but not by category. I am trying to generate reports to total my different types of expenses and income. I have never used tags but I have an extensive array of categories that allow me to generate the required reports in Quicken. I was hoping to be able to repeat them in Moneydance.

Brook

Brook L. Julias

Julias Computer Services

Cell: (352) 613-4403

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 21 Sep, 2021 03:02 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Categories are either Income or expense items hence why the reports are called Income and Expense, however these are the two standard reports for reporting on categories. In these reports you can select individual or groups of categories to include.

4. 4 Posted by tgilbert666 on 21 Sep, 2021 04:02 AM

If you're using the latest preview version, and seeing only "All Income" or "All Expenses", there's a bug where the "By Individual" button is not always shown and an ellipsis is shown instead. Try clicking on that for a list of categories to select. I've attached a pic of mine with the ellipsis highlighted and random categories selected or not selected If that's not the solution, can you clarify what you mean by "...doesn't mention category..."? It's grouped by Category and the headings and totals are all Category names!?

Cheers,
    Tony

5. 5 Posted by bjulias on 21 Sep, 2021 10:18 AM

Thanks a lot! That answered the question. The top of the list was my accounts so I didn’t bother paging down to see the categories. It could be better labeled to make it obvious that that is what the list is.

Thanks again,

Brook

Brook L. Julias

Julias Computer Services

Cell: (352) 613-4403

6. Ethan closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2021 07:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac