Change category type from Expense to Income & currency to Canadian Dollars.

ejcom

09 Jan, 2022 11:53 PM

I've just transferred my financial data from Banktivity to Moneydance 2022 using a QIF file. Some of the categories that were Income categories in Banktivity (like payroll deductions) came into Moneydance as Expense categories and I can't figure out how to change them. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Also, everything came through as US dollars, rather than Canadian Dollars. Is there any bulk approach to correcting this, other than by account or category or transaction?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2022 12:34 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Common problems cause by the QIF file often only having only basic raw transactions information and not supporting currencies.

Under the menu item Extensions --> Manage Extensions install the Toolbox extension.

This extension contains a wide range of utilities to fix various issues.

Take a backup of your data set before you start.

In Toolbox you will find an option to force and account type change, you can use this to change an Expense category to an income category.

The currency problem occurs because QIF has no idea about currencies so if you do not set the currency before you import you end up with USD.

The fix this one without re-importing, in Moneydance change your base currency to CDN then in Toolbox change each account/category to CDN. Depending on how much work you have done redoing the import into a new data, with the currency set before the import may be quicker.

There are many holes you can wind up in when migrating financial data and most of us have falling into one or more of them.

2. System closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2022 12:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac