tags and attachments

John Peebles

24 Jun, 2022 09:24 PM

I have just migrated over from an older Mac OS version of Quicken, and neither my tags nor my attachments made the trip with me. Is there any way to bring them over?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 24 Jun, 2022 10:08 PM

I'm a fellow user.

There is no provision in QIF file for attachments so they cannot be migrated with the data, you would have to export them one by one from Quicken then attach them to transactions in Moneydance.

There is provision for tags in QIF, whether Quicken exports them or does so correctly, and whether Moneydance does import them I do not know if it has ever been tested.

2. 2 Posted by tgilbert666 on 25 Jun, 2022 09:14 AM

I imported 10k or more transactions from Reckon to MD in 2020 and accounts, categories and tags were exported and imported correctly in the form

my_account_name:my_categy_name/tagname (that's a colon and a forward slash as separators). as follows:
    Vacation:Travel/Tony

The tags import/export both in line items and in splits.

Attachments, I concur with dwg.

-a fellow user

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 25 Jun, 2022 09:32 AM

I never used tags in Reckon (think Australianized version of Quicken for those in other countries) so had no personal experience of them and to be honest we see only intermittent use of them, they are used in Moneydance as a sub filtering mechanism.

The format in the preceding post is correct for the QIF format. The following is the expanded wording from the QIF specification

Category or Transfer and (optionally) Class. The literal values are those defined in the Quicken Category list. SubCategories can be indicated by a colon (":") followed by the subcategory literal. If the Quicken file uses Classes, this can be indicated by a slash ("/") followed by the class literal.

"Class" is what Quicken calls Tags.

I would be looking in the QIF file to see what the transaction entries look like to ensure they are correct.

If they do look correct we may need a sample file that demonstrates the issue to further investigate.

4. 4 Posted by John Peebles on 26 Jun, 2022 05:27 PM

Thanks to you and to tgilbert666. I am coming from a rather dated version of Quicken (2007) and the export file is styled “QMTF” rather than “QIF”. Would that impact your observations? Also, being somewhat geriatric, and definitely non=computer centric, I am not sure how I would modify the line

"my_account_name:my_categy_name/tagname (that's a colon and a forward slash as separators). as follows:
    Vacation:Travel/Tony

to suit my on specific needs, nor where I would go to make such a modification….

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 26 Jun, 2022 10:32 PM

QMTF files are from Quicken Mac. The format is a subset of the fuller QIF specifications. I know there is no support for Investment accounts in this format, if anything else is not supported I am not aware if it.

To have it so Moneydance understands that this is a type of QIF file you would rename it so it has a .QIF extension rather than .QMTF.

To check the file you would open it in a text editor or word processor and look for lines that have a capital L as the first letter on the line. These are the category line for a transaction. You can search for a transaction that you know would have a tag and see what the "L" line looks like. That should tell us if there is tag data in the file and also what format is being used if it does.

If the file has no tag data that tells us why you are not seeing any in Moneydance. The software can only work with the data it is given. If it does have tag data we then need to investigate further. The format could be wrong or we may need a sample file to work with.

6. 6 Posted by John Peebles on 27 Jun, 2022 03:01 AM

Thank you. I will try renaming the import file in the morning and report back.

7. 7 Posted by John D. Peebles on 27 Jun, 2022 06:42 PM

I have renamed the export file “QIF” and imported it into MD, but the result is the same. I opened the newly renamed export file in Text Edit and here is a sample

Here is a screen capture of these transaction in Quicken. Please note the tags, which are not indicated in the text edit copy of the export file.

Here are the transactions as imported into MD

Any ideas on anything else I might try?

And thank you for your time….

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 27 Jun, 2022 10:26 PM

So are you saying that at least one of the transactions shown in the screen shot of the QIF file is meant to also have tags?

If so it would mean that the Quicken QMTF export function is not including them, in which case there is nothing Moneydance can do about it, as I said before Moneydance can only work with what it is given. This could be another restriction in QMTF files.

9. 9 Posted by tgilbert666 on 28 Jun, 2022 01:15 AM

Yes, as dwg says, although tags are supported in Moneydance, they are not leveraged or honoured in anywhere near the fashion that they have been in Quicken for decades. It's unfortunate, but I've been able to get far less value from my historic (30yrs) of tags since moving to MD without using an external reporting tool, which was un-necessary in Quicken. Nonetheless, I find that an acceptable price to pay for Moneydance's other features.

Soliloquy aside, as you would be aware, renaming your file will not change it's contents, only allow Moneydance to process it in a standard manner.
    I'm not familiar with Qucken on the Mac, but unless/until you can get the tags appearing after a "/" on the L or S lines of your QIF file, then there's nothing for MD to import. There's ways of constructing QIF files from financial data but too complex and off-topic to address here. Suffice to say that if you have the data in a QIF file then it will be imported correctly, and if you don't have it, then no software can imagine it into existence.
    (Quicken and Reckon for Windows have check-boxes for what elements should be exported. Have you double-checked that you are using the full powers of your EXPORT?)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac