Mobile app support beyond iCloud/Dropbox

Aaron Soto

31 Oct, 2023 12:16 AM

Hi! I've been working to keep my data private and found Moneydance as a recommended privacy-focused replacement to Mint. I'd be interested to know if there is a way (currently or planned) to use the mobile app without Dropbox, specifically on Android. I have several ways to keep files synced directly between my phone and my desktop so, this one feature kinda feels like a step backward. Can I have the mobile app open a file on the local Android filesystem?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 31 Oct, 2023 01:12 AM

I'm a fellow user.

As it currently stands Android mobiles require the use of Dropbox.

The Infinite Kind generally do not discuss futures in any detail and there has been nothing mentioned in recent times about any alternatives.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Oct, 2023 07:49 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Aaron

Just to add, the data synced between computer and Android is end to end encrypted with the key not help in Dropbox but only on your devices.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 31 Oct, 2023 09:43 AM

Also:

• With "Dropbox Connection" Moneydance uses the Dropbox API to talk to the Dropbox service directly. So, although you don't need to have Dropbox actually installed on your computer, you do need to be online when Moneydance is running in order for changes to be synced.

• With "Dropbox Folder" Moneydance will just read and write files to your Dropbox folder on your computer, which means that you need to have Dropbox installed and running on it. You don't need to be online in order for Moneydance to read and write the changes.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. System closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2024 09:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac