How to get a security to appear in the Portfolio View of an account?

rew

15 Oct, 2015 05:59 PM

I'm a brand-new user of Moneydance (v. 2015.6(1299)) who has run into a problem.

Here it is: I started Moneydance by importing data from a Quicken QIF file. The first portfolio that I've tried to bring to up-to-date status went well except for one stock, namely, iShares MSCI Germany ETF, which I have been unable to make appear in the Portfolio View of the portfolio of concern. (BTW, the portfolio of concern is the only one of the three portfolios in my and my wife's investments in which this ETF occurs; it is my IRA; the other two portfolios are IRAs belonging to my wife).

When I use Tools -> Securities, the Edit Securities popup contains 9 occurrences of iShares MSCI Germany ETF. The first of these entries contains the transaction with which I purchased this ETF. The other 8 entries are empty.

It occurred to me that the problem of making this ETF appear in the Portfolio View of my IRA may be due to the multiplicity of entries for this ETF. Acting on this hypothesis, I have been trying to use the Edit Securities popup to delete the empty entries, but have not been able to figure out how to do so. Highlighting an empty entries and using the "Delete" key yields no response. (Using the "Delete" key in the Edit Securities popup is suggested in several responses to my Google query, "In Moneydance, how to delete a security?". Is it possible that these refer to earlier versions of Moneydance?)

Is my hypothesis about the multiplicity of occurrences of iShares MSCI Germany ETF being the cause of my inability to make this ETF appear in the Portfolio View of my IRA correct? If so, how can I delete the empty entries?

Or is there some other way in which I can get iShares MSCI Germany ETF to appear in the Portfolio View of my IRA?

Any help will be much appreciated.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 06 Nov, 2015 08:44 PM

Does this security show up in the other accounts that hold it. If you currently own a security it should show on the portfolio view.

Select the securities detail tab. From the scroll window in the right hand box. Select the Ishares security that has the transaction you mentioned below. Take a screen shot of the entire securities detail window and attach it to this thread.

The best method for deleting securities is to from the toolbar select tools . securities. In the security list that shows select the security you wish to delete and press the "-" button at the bottom of the window. You should be prompted with a do you wish to delete prompt. If there are transactions to the security you will not be able to delete from here but from the account that holds the transactions. If the security is deleted you should see it removed from the list.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by rew on 09 Nov, 2015 06:58 PM

Dear Mr. Freeman,

Thanks for your response to my question.

As it happens, I finally gave up trying to delete the security. Instead,
    I did a second export of data from Quicken, this time paying careful
    attention to Moneydance's advice on such exports as well as Quicken's
    own advice on exports. The result was a clean export that lacked the
    problematic security.

I'm enjoying using Moneydance. It works beautifully for me.

Ronald Wyllys

3. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 09 Nov, 2015 07:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac