Cannot connect to my bank

Brock

10 Nov, 2015 01:26 AM

Hello, I am new to Moneydance. I have imported data from quicken essentials for Mac. However, while trying to setup my account for online banking, it fails to login into my bank. Part of the confusion: I do not understand how to enter both a password and a PIN. Moneydance prompts me to enter "Password/PIN". What does that mean? Enter both on the same line? Enter just the password? Neither? Please help.

Thanks,
Brock

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 10 Nov, 2015 02:58 PM

Hi Brock,

Have you previously contacted your financial institution to activate direct connections?

Application-based online banking often requires a different login/PIN than the ones that are used for ATM or web-based banking. When you enable your account for access from Moneydance or Quicken, your financial institution should let you know what customer ID/login and PIN to use.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thanks for your interest in Moneydance!

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Brock on 10 Nov, 2015 03:29 PM

Hello Jenny,

Why would I need to do that? It was just working perfectly fine 15 minutes before I installed Moneydance - as I was backing things up in Quicken Essentials and I had synced with my bank one last time. Clearly, direct connections are activated.

When I try to configure my account for online banking it says it cannot connect. And as I mentioned in my previous post, part of the confusion is that I know I have to pass both a password AND a PIN to my bank. I do not see how that would happen in Moneydance - as there is only one entry for Password/PIN.

Brock

3. 3 Posted by David Hanley on 10 Nov, 2015 04:10 PM

Hi Brock,

Can you give me the name(s) of the financial institution(s) you're trying to connect to? Many financial institutions offer both OFX direct connect service, and Quicken WebConnect services. Unless you've explicitly enabled OFX direct connetions with your financial institution, it's likely that Quicken Essentials defaulted to WebConnect

Thanks!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Brock on 10 Nov, 2015 04:19 PM

I was using direct connect service, but here is their webpage on the subject if you want to take a look.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/eft_direct_download_options_main?cosa=bank

Select the Existing tab, and then "Direct Connect for Quicken Essentials..."

5. 5 Posted by David Hanley on 10 Nov, 2015 04:29 PM

Hi Brock,

You're correct, it appears that you were using direct connect.

Our documentation for USAA indicates that you'll need to use your member number as your username and your PIN as your password. Could you give that a try and let me know if you're successful?

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by Brock on 12 Nov, 2015 01:05 AM

And you are correct. That is what it was. Strange how that wasn't how it worked with Qiuicken. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

7. 7 Posted by David Hanley on 12 Nov, 2015 01:13 AM

Great to hear you're back up and running, it's definitely strange that the connection will accept two sets of credentials, based on which application is accessing it.

Please feel free to contact us for any additional support!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

8. David Hanley closed this discussion on 12 Nov, 2015 01:13 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

29 Oct, 2020 08:38 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:36 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:25 PM