Can our HOA switch back to Quicken from MD after our term?

Bob Hovey

21 Nov, 2015 03:38 PM

We are planning to buy a new MD for our Homeowners Association as we are the new Treasurer and we are 100% mac. The legacy records are on Quicken. Our HOA board wants to know if - after our term/s and if the next Treasurer is a Win person - can they switch back to Quicken from MD?

I recognize this calls for an answer you cannot guarantee since things can change in the next five years or so... but if we had to switch back today could we do it?

Bob

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 29 Dec, 2015 02:50 PM

Hello Bob,

I apologise for the delay in our reply. Moneydance can export its basic transaction data in the QIF format, which other personal finance software can usually read. I honestly can't say how easy it is to reintergrate that data back into Quicken though. If it's anything like the process of moving from Quicken to Moneydance, you can probably get the main transaction data in, but there are limitations of the QIF file format itself. Things like currency information, reminders, online payment information, and most things beyond the basic transaction data are not included in QIF files, so you will lose those going in either direction and have to recreate it manually.

We have no plans to reduce the export functionality of Moneydance, and I can't imagine a reason that we ever would. The main risk would probably be Quicken reducing their abilities, which I of course have no way to predict.

Also, your initial question says if the "Treasurer is a Win person" they will have to use Quicken, which seems to imply that you think Moneydance is only a Mac program? Moneydance runs fine in Windows, Macs, Linux, and some other minor operating systems. Just because someone prefers Windows doesn't mean they have to give up on Moneydance.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Robert Hovey on 29 Dec, 2015 03:49 PM

Thanks and Happy New year

Thus far our transition to MD from Quicken 2007 has gone smoothly. All of the data from past years seems to be ok.

I did not know that MD would run on Windows. That’s a great answer. Thank you.

You can close this one up if you wish.

Bob

Bob Hovey
    404 333 1598 cell

3. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 29 Dec, 2015 06:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Jan, 2021 12:26 AM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM