SyncSpace Android Update coming?

Robert Lanning

17 Apr, 2013 10:13 AM

My group is looking into shared virtual whiteboard applications for software architectural meetings, spanning international boarders.

The iOS version of the app is great. The Android app is VERY old and missing major features.

We are ok with paying for the iOS app, but with the Bring Your Own Device, we can't get everyone an iPad. (I myself am an Android user.)
We don't need the Bonjour service (a bit of a security risk.)
We will be willing to pay the same for the Android app as we do for the iOS app, if we can get the undo/redo, export to PDF, import photo and object delete features.

BTW, the current Android client can only delete the complete whiteboard. The selecting of an object does not work. Plus, when selecting the text tool, we cannot get a keyboard to come up.

Google Nexus 7/Google Nexus 4 - both with stock Android 4.2.2.

So, the big question...
Have you abandoned the Android platform for this product? (last update: version 1.0.0/April 12, 2011)
If not, what is the roadmap for SyncSpace on all platforms?
Do, I need to look for something else?

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Reilly on 17 Apr, 2013 08:17 PM

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your message and your interest in SyncSpace. I acknowledge the aged status of the SyncSpace app for Android, and we will be updating it later this year to bring it closer to parity with the iOS app. It won't get all of the features of the iOS version, partially because Android doesn't have built-in support for things like PDF and partially because the demand on Android has been so lacklustre, even when the apps had nearly the same feature set.

As for the selection problem, I have a Nexus 7 and don't see the problems you describe. It could be that the selection works just a bit differently. On Android you can only select items by dragging a rectangle. Any items touched by the rectangle will be selected. We'll be adding the ability to tap-select items to Android in our update later this year.

The text issue is an error in how text entry works in newer versions of Android relative to v2.2 which was the version under which SyncSpace was developed. To get around that problem, you need to tap-and-drag (or just tap) to place the text, and then tap again on the blinking cursor to bring up the keyboard. I have no idea why Android doesn't automatically display the system keyboard when a text field gains focus, but we'll try to find a way around it.

I hope this gives you a bit more confidence in our plans for the Android app, although I'm sorry I can't be more specific about our road map and timeline.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Sean Reilly closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2013 08:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac