Possible to Sync to iCloud?

Christopher

25 Oct, 2017 04:33 PM

Will this be implemented, or is it possible now?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2017 11:44 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

If you are using the latest released build of Moneydance 2017.5(1639) there is a sync method available called “Shared Folder”, although I have never tried it with iCloud, I use the sync method “Dropbox Folder”, it should work. There is one caveat, if you purchased Moneydance direct from Apply and not from this site I know Apply applies some restrictions on Moneydance features. I am not sure if the use of “Shared folders is one of them. See these articles at http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by Christopher on 26 Oct, 2017 07:45 PM

Really, I think it would be more convenient to be able to sync directly to the home computer, i.e. come home and do the sync there directly to MD with no need for the intermediary cloud.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Oct, 2017 07:24 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

OK I am at a loss as to what you are trying to do.
    Is it sync between computers and perhaps phones, mobile devices.

Or is it just to run Moneydance on a single computer without using the cloud? If so Moneydances program and your data is on your hard drive not on the cloud. The only situation your data uses the cloud is if you decide to sync between devices, then Moneydance uses end to end symmetric AES256 encryption. The keys are only held on the devices not in the cloud.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 27 Oct, 2017 08:17 AM

The Windows, OSX and Linux versions should be able to sync using any system that provides file shares, the condition being that the service must be available and accessible when Moneydance is being used, there is no provision for offline support.

The dropbox folder option is only able to achieve offline support due to the capability of the dropbox client, moneydance itself is not contributing to this capability apart from being able correctly order transactions.

I do not believe there is a dropbox client for the mobile systems, thus the dropbox folder option would not be available, I do not know if mobile devices can use file shares, but I would be surprised if devices like smartphones can use them.

For an ability like a deferred update with a home system like is being requested would require software on the mobile device that can operate somewhat like the dropbox client, does such software exist? That appears to me to be the biggest missing piece.

5. 5 Posted by Christopher on 28 Oct, 2017 04:32 AM

Thanks derekkent23 and dwg.

6. System closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2018 04:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac