Restore Money Dance data file

Alan Chater

09 Dec, 2018 05:26 PM

I recently had my Laptop stolen and have purchased a replacement, unfortunately I do not have a backup of my data. I did however sync to Dropbox for viewing data on my iPhone. Is it possible to restore my data from this sync file on Dropbox back to my PC?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Dec, 2018 06:08 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

The following assumes you have been running 2017 and syncing to a phone and still have access to Dropbox.
    In Moneydance click FILE – NEW or if it opens in the welcome window CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT SET then OPEN SYNCED FILE. Use the dropdown to set the same sync method as you were using. Enter the same passphrase as before and start syncing. If your data set is synced back in to your computer it will be as a second computer data set and need converting into a primary computer data set as below.
    Procedure for converting a secondary data set into a primary data set.
    Create a backup using the File --> Export Backup.
    To use the file md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py, first download it to your computer and then follow these steps:
    1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Python Scripting.
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.
    5. Close Moneydance and then reopen it.
    You should now have recovered your data set and be good to go.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by Alan Gmail on 10 Dec, 2018 09:54 PM

Hello Derek

Thank, you between your input, I as successful in syncing my data on Dropbox back to to my new PC with 100% success.

Thanks once again for you help.

Regards,
    Alan Chater.
    Sent from my iPad

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Dec, 2018 12:14 AM

Glad I was able to help!

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 11 Dec, 2018 02:26 AM

Alan,

I would strongly suggest you make a point of regularly making external backups. Yes you can recover from the sync files but there can be occasions when this will not work or the data will not be usable, much better to be safe than sorry.

5. System closed this discussion on 12 Mar, 2019 02:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac