Synching between two computers - Moneydance 2017

ray.weatherby

29 Jul, 2017 08:32 AM

I have the same version of Moneydance on two computers. I want to be able to have both computers use the same data from a Dropbox Folder, as I believe is available. However, on the computer where I have all the transactions, when I do to File> Synch I do not see Dropbox Folder for some reason. On the other computer I do see Dropbox Folder. As far as I can see both installations are the same. Any ideas?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 29 Jul, 2017 10:22 AM

I just want to make sure that you are aware that with Moneydance 2017 you do not copy your data files to dropbox you keep them on your local disk drive.

As to why you do not see the folder on one machine, do you have dropbox installed to its default location or elsewhere? I believe I have seen a similar problem when a user had it installed on his D drive, if i recall correctly the solution in that case was to select shared drive and navigate to where dropbox was.

2. 2 Posted by Mike Caine on 07 Sep, 2017 08:17 AM

Is there information on this anywhere? I've recently upgraded to 2017 and the warning message each time I start it is a bit annoying. How does it now sync?

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 07 Sep, 2017 08:33 AM

4. 4 Posted by Mike Caine on 07 Sep, 2017 08:50 AM

Thanks for the very fast reply - must have missed that document, sorry.

At the moment I use MD17 on my home Mac and my work PC.
    As I'm at work at the moment I figure I need to move the data file locally and then choose Dropbox Folder in the sync settings and then later configure my home Mac in a similar fashion.

When I was getting the warning message I'd looked at sync and thought I was already sharing a Dropbox folder and couldn't understand what the issue was.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 07 Sep, 2017 09:04 AM

In previous versions of Moneydance there was no syncing capability at all, hence placing the data file in Dropbox was a way of copying the data file between systems, there were limitations and it was not completely without risk.

With MD2017 infinite kind has introduced inbuilt sync capabilities, it can however still use Dropbox as a staging area in order to share the files used to replicate data between the systems, some sort of staging area is required to provide a drop off and collection point.

6. 6 Posted by Ira on 17 Oct, 2017 03:49 PM

With regards to the original poster's question, syncing on the second computer is now slightly different than before, and not the same process as on the primary computer. The procedure is described in the syncing paper link provided above.

Basically, once the sync method (Dropbox Connection or Folder) is selected on the first computer, the second computer is synchronized by choosing File>New>Open Synced File [select the same method as on computer #1] and then choosing your Moneydance data file. Don't try to do it on computer #2 with File>Sync…; I spent too much time trying to make that work, and it doesn't!

7. System closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2018 03:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac