Dropbox syncing now limited

bill

13 Apr, 2019 04:05 AM

I purchased and then set Moneydance up on my home, office, vacation home, and laptop computer with my account files synced through a Dropbox folder. I have my backup file setup in a Onedrive folder. This has worked fine for the last few months that I have used Moneydance. It now appears that Dropbox is limiting the number of linked devices to 3 in the basic account. I now must decide where I won't be able to access Moneydance and I'll more than likely choose wrong. I also have the mobile app on my iPhone and iPad that must be taken into consideration.

Is there a way to setup my sync through Onedrive?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Apr, 2019 07:31 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

This is from Dropbox
    “If you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked.”

Its not clear if the Dropbox API imbedded in Moneydance used in the sync method Dropbox Connection counts as a device.

An initial thought from Sean Moneydance’s software developer.
    “Dropbox limitation, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't expect an app's API connection (such as Moneydance uses) to count towards the device limit.”

You can currently sync computers using Shared Folder, One Drive etc but the Moneydance Mobile app only works with Dropbox.

My setup is 3 computers and one Android phone but don’t have a new mobile device to add to find out what happens.

Dropbox link https://help.dropbox.com/account/computer-limit

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Apr, 2019 09:37 AM

I found this statement from Dropbox to a question by a Dropbox user.

“It sounds like you're referring to the three device limit for Basic accounts documented here. That limit applies to the devices that can be connected to the Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.
    This limit does not apply to third party apps that to connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API. Users of third-party API apps can connect them to the Dropbox API from as many instances/devices as they want.”

So, it would seem you will still be able to connect as many mobile devices using Moneydance app as you like. If you have 3 or more computers using Dropbox Folder you want lose your existing setup but want be able to add a new computer using Dropbox Folder. But it does look like you can add new computers adding Moneydance’s Dropbox Connection.

Not tested, to prove the above is correct.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by bill on 13 Apr, 2019 03:24 PM

On 4/13/2019 5:37 AM, derekkent23 wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

I found this statement from Dropbox to a question by a Dropbox user.

“It sounds like you're referring to the three device limit for Basic accounts documented here. That limit applies to the devices that can be connected to the Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.
    This limit does not apply to third party apps that to connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API. Users of third-party API apps can connect them to the Dropbox API from as many instances/devices as they want.”

So, it would seem you will still be able to connect as many mobile devices using Moneydance app as you like. If you have 3 or more computers using Dropbox Folder you want lose your existing setup but want be able to add a new computer using Dropbox Folder. But it does look like you can add new computers adding Moneydance’s Dropbox Connection.

Not tested, to prove the above is correct.

Hope this helps.

On Sat, Apr 13 at 12:31 AM PDT, derekkent23 wrote:

This is from Dropbox
    “If you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked.”

Its not clear if the Dropbox API imbedded in Moneydance used in the sync method Dropbox Connection counts as a device.

An initial thought from Sean Moneydance’s software developer.
    “Dropbox limitation, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't expect an app's API connection (such as Moneydance uses) to count towards the device limit.”

You can currently sync computers using Shared Folder, One Drive etc but the Moneydance Mobile app only works with Dropbox.

My setup is 3 computers and one Android phone but don’t have a new mobile device to add to find out what happens.

Dropbox link https://help.dropbox.com/account/computer-limit

Hope this helps

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Dropbox syncing now limited.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com, visit this page

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Apr, 2019 03:40 PM

Hi Bill your last post has no new content?

Have Fun

5. 5 Posted by bill on 13 Apr, 2019 06:47 PM

Thank you for your responses to this inquiry. What you have stated sounds very correct and I will try to test it this weekend. Looking through documentation last night I did find that I can connect through a shared folder in OneDrive. I guess, my hope would be that a future release of the mobile app would allow it to connect to other shared folders like OneDrive and not be limited to one "egg basket".

Thanks again.

6. 6 Posted by emollusc on 21 Apr, 2019 10:36 AM

+1 for Onedrive support.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Apr, 2019 11:20 AM

Any replacement for Dropbox needs to support Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, most don’t. In its current form the free Moneydance app for mobile device needs a API provided by the cloud server service, equivalent to the API provided by Dropbox.

Have Fun

8. System closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2019 11:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac