Unable to navigate to sync option

anthony hurford

26 Jun, 2019 10:18 PM

i have previously used the sync to drop box option successfully. However I have just updated Moneydance to 2019.3 and syncing no longer works. Therefore, I have now given up and deleted my drop box account. However, moneydance will not allow me to select the syncing option to be able to remove the sync folder etc. when i select the sync option the screen freezes and i have to crash out of moneydance.

is there a script that i can run to remove the sync file data manually.

many thanks

Anthony Hurford

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 27 Jun, 2019 10:22 AM

Hi Anthony,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

In order to assist you better to reset syncing, would you be able to confirm what devicesyou are trying to sync with?

Are you running the same version of Moneydance on all of them?
    To check this, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

Did you come up with any error message, at all?

If you are syncing with other computers, you can refer to this article

If you are syncing with your mobile app, please refer to this article

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Tony Hurford on 27 Jun, 2019 11:07 AM

Hi Maddie
    Thank you for your reply, my main machine is an Apple Mac pro running Moneydance version 2019.3 build 1808. The other machines that are being used are an iPad Pro and an iPhone 8, both are using the Moneydance download from Apple App Store.

The issue happened when I updated the main machine to version 2019.3 synchronisation at this point stop working. After re installing the apps to the iPad Pro and the iPhone I still could get synchronisation to work I therefore decided to remove my account from dropbox and give up.

The problem is that Moneydance still believes I have the dropbox and sync file and therefore the syncing option attempts to connect when the dropbox and sync file are no longer there. I.e. I did not select the “do not sync” option before I removed the dropbox .
    The moneydance log highlights this error and this causes moneydance to freeze on the Apple Mac ,and I then need to crash out of moneydance to be able to continue on the Mac.

I need some sort of python script to run and disconnect/remove /initialise the syncing connection parameters on the Mac.

I hope this makes sense.

many thanks

Anthony Hurford

Sent from my iPhone

3. 3 Posted by Tony Hurford on 27 Jun, 2019 11:09 AM

Hi Maddy,
    Thank you for your reply, my main machine is an Apple Mac pro running Moneydance version 2019.3 build 1808. The other machines that are being used are an iPad Pro and an iPhone 8, both are using the Moneydance download from Apple App Store.

The issue happened when I updated the main machine to version 2019.3 synchronisation at this point stop working. After re installing the apps to the iPad Pro and the iPhone I still could not get synchronisation to work. I therefore decided to remove my account from dropbox and give up.

The problem is that Moneydance still believes I have the dropbox and sync file and therefore the syncing option attempts to connect when the dropbox and sync file are no longer there. I.e. I did not select the “do not sync” option before I removed the dropbox .
    The moneydance log highlights this error and this causes moneydance to freeze on the Apple Mac ,and I then need to crash out of moneydance to be able to continue on the Mac.

I need some sort of python script to run and disconnect/remove /initialise the syncing connection parameters on the Mac.

I hope this makes sense.

many thanks

Anthony Hurford

Sent from my iPhone

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 27 Jun, 2019 11:54 AM

Thank you for providing the details, Anthony.

Don't worry, I've attached a file called "md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py" that should resolve this problem for you.

To use the .py file, first save it to your computer and then follow these steps:

In Moneydance, select Window --> Show Moneybot Console.
    In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.

Once completed, navigate back to File --> Syncing, and you should now be able to select the required sync method.

Please let me know if you have any problems running the script, or if you continue to encounter issues.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Tony Hurford on 27 Jun, 2019 12:47 PM

Hi Maddy
    thank you for this I will let you know if it works when I try later thank you

Regards

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone

6. 6 Posted by Tony Hurford on 13 Jul, 2019 07:35 PM

>
    >> Hi Maddy,
    >>
    >> i ran the script’
    >>> md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py’ successfully ; however it did not cure the freezing issue , please see the bold text from the console log
    >>>

I still cannot not use the ‘syncing’ dropdown as the connection to the dropbox fails and freezes MD, do you have any other ideas please ?

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jul, 2019 07:52 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

One method of setting the sync method to Don’t Sync under MONEYDANCE – SYNCING is a follow.

Under MONEYDANCE use EXPORT BACKUP to create a backup.
    Then use RESTORE FROM BACKUP under MONEYDANCE to restore the backup.
    As part of this process the sync method should be set to Don’t Sync.

Hope this help.

8. 8 Posted by Tony Hurford on 13 Jul, 2019 08:19 PM

Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPad

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jul, 2019 08:32 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Glad it worked.

Have Fun

10. Maddy closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2019 08:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac