Can I try this out

Bryan Williams

26 Apr, 2020 09:29 PM

Hi guys
To cut a long story short - I'm a lecturer, and because of the COVID19 issues everywhere I'm giving online lectures, like so many others. At the moment I've rigged up a webcam imaging a real analogue whiteboard. This actually works really well (I'm teaching different maths courses, so PPT is really not an option - I need to show how things are built up rather than just ' appear' . I like working interactively).

Anyway, I was looking for ways to make this look slightly more modern. A Digital whiteboard would be ideal !!

Trying to find something that works well.... would you believe it... can't find anything suitable. Until I come across SyncSpace.

Bloody perfect! Nearly instantaneous writing. Nice sharp text. This I'd like to play around with a bit more, and see if the students like it too.

But to do that, I need to be able to share with others. And I can't do that with the trial version.

SO: Can you give me a months free trial or something? If this works out, and I have a good feeling about it, then I'm sure that I can convince our institute to look into it for more lecturers.

I tried it out with an old iPad that i have (ios 9), and it was fine. Haven't tried the Samsung yet, but hope that it works just as well. I only need the possibility to share online.

Any chance of this....?

Thanks for considering.

Bryan Williams
Hanze University of Applied Sciences
The Netherlands

1. 1 Posted by Bryan Williams on 27 Apr, 2020 10:50 AM

Update to this.
    Tried it on a samsung tablet. This does let me share online - which is perfect - exactly what I want. But it's much too slow. Doesn't see a lot of the stuff that I write. Not acceptable. The iPad is muuuuch better. But the software I downloaded there doesn't allow me to share online.

HELP!!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Sean Reilly on 11 May, 2020 02:10 PM

Hi Bryan,

Ah yes, you've discovered that the Android version is far behind the iOS version. We have a new iOS version just about ready for release, and even a significant Android update that's nearly ready. I would still strongly recommend using the iOS/iPad version though.

The subscription fees for the iOS version of SyncSpace do provide a free trial but I'll also send you a promo code that should give you an extra month.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Sean Reilly on 11 May, 2020 03:10 PM

Hi Bryan,
    Here's the promo code I mentioned. I believe you can redeem this by using the "Redeem" button or link in the App Store app. It might need you to tap on your account's icon which is usually at the top right corner of the app store app.

LTMXRTP39APM

Thanks!
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

4. 4 Posted by Williams BD, Br... on 11 May, 2020 03:32 PM

Dear Sean

Thanks for the promo code - but I've already purchased the Ios version for a month. Bought myself a nice active capacative pen - together it seems to work very nicely. (Even though it's a very old ios version)

I have my first lesson with it tomorrow. Curios how it will go. If it's OK then I'll continue for a while.

The latest predictions from our uni are that we'll continue online for at least another semester after the holidays. So if things go smoothly with the software, then I'll show it to colleagues. We're all struggling with how to digitise the whiteboard from home. - and I think this is a very good alternative.

I'll let you know...

Bryan Williams

Regards

Bryan Williams PDEng

University Lecturer,

Hanze University of Applied Sciences,

Institute of Engineering,

Industrieweg 1,

9402NP Assen,

The Netherlands.

Tel +31 (0)50-595 7656

[cid:ba7219f2-f86f-4874-b77e-2d362551c1af]

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 May, 2020 09:16 AM

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for purchasing a license and especially for your feedback about how you might use it. Currently SyncSpace requires a paid subscription in order to modify shared documents, so students currently won't be able to make changes of their own to files unless they also purchase a subscription. I plan on changing that soon to allow a teacher to share drawings that don't require their collaborators to also purchase anything.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

6. 6 Posted by Williams BD, Br... on 08 Jun, 2020 04:22 PM

Dear Sean
    I've been trying SyncSpace out for a while now.
    I'm quite happy with it. And so are the students.
    I do realise that I need a better capacitive pen, but that's a different matter. (my handwriting looks a bit scribbly with the one I'm using).

Next week I'll be sharing my positive experiences about the software with my colleagues. Maybe more people will be interested.

You mentioned that you may be able to allow students to interact without the license. Any progress there, so that I can pass that on next week?

One point for improvement that I'd like to mention.
    On the bottom right hand corner you have the 'Home' button. This is not a good place for it. I keep hitting it with my palm when I'm writing, which takes me all the way back to the beginning, and I have to scroll back to where I was (I'm producing pages of handwritten notes).
    It would be much better just with the rest of the buttons in the menu bar at the top.

Hope that you can do something with this...

Regards

Bryan Williams PDEng

University Lecturer,

Hanze University of Applied Sciences,

Institute of Engineering,

Industrieweg 1,

9402NP Assen,

The Netherlands.

Tel +31 (0)50-595 7656

[cid:309d80c9-6691-4810-af32-a9dcbcf737b3]

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac