synching to additional apple computer

Tom Reddy

31 May, 2020 06:16 PM

Having problems doing this. Have read "Syncing with other computers" and I am confused. 1st paragraph says Moneydance can now use any shared folder (such as dropbox)… and third paragraph says it is very important that you ensure the data you would like to share are not already located in any shared folder (like dropbox)…

am already sharing data amongst a number of apple products and one PC Now I want to add another MAC or possible a MacBook. How do I do this?

current version 2019.3 (1880)
Tom Reddy
570-510-1549
[email blocked]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 31 May, 2020 06:51 PM

Hello Tom,

Sorry for the confusion. It's important that your local data files are not placed in a shared folder to share between systems, because this usually leads to errors. However, what the syncing system creates is a folder specifically for the program to share data between systems. This is formatted in a way so that it can be safely written to and read between systems at the same time. So yes to the shared syncing folder on Dropbox, but no to local data files.

You write that you are already sharing your data between several systems. Can you clarify how you have done this? If it was by setting up syncing using the instructions at that link, then all you should have to do is follow the later portion of the instructions to open your synced data on the additional system. If you need more details, it would be helpful to know which version of Moneydance you are using on your systems, and which syncing method you aleady have set up (Dropbox Connection, Dropbox Folder, or Shared Folder).

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 May, 2020 06:58 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tom

First question.
    If you are only syncing between computers your can use the Moneydance syncing method Shared Folder. This shared folder can be on a cloud server such as Dropbox, pCloud. OneDrive Google Drive iCloud etc. If your set up includes mobile devices, phone, pads, you can only use Dropbox.

Second question.
    Your data set on your primary computer the computer you first set up syncing on under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING must be located on your hard drive not in a cloud server. If you locate your data set where it is synced to a cloud server it could be corrupted.

The best way forward depends on your existing setup. Can you list the devices you are already syncing and their operating systems?

Under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING what syncing method are you using?

List the devices you want to add and there operating systems.

3. 3 Posted by jcole01108 on 02 Jun, 2020 11:32 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: synching to additional apple computer

Question on syncing. I thought I had it set up properly to sync between two macbook pros in different locations (home and office). I am using a shared folder on icloud but I noticed that after about a week, it has stopped syncing. The files from the master computer stopped being uploaded though it looks like the slave computer is still trying to sync. What has gone wrong? What should I check for? Both use the same version of MoneyDance 19.3, but different versions of the Mac OS.

Just did some more research. The syncing folder on the MASTER computer somehow got changed to a folder on my hard drive from the iCloud drive, BUT I didn't do anything to make the change and it looks like the path can't be changed. It is greyed out in the sync settings window. How do I modify the sync folder path?

4. 4 Posted by Tom Reddy on 03 Jun, 2020 01:37 PM

I have a number of devices:

My primary money dance device is a HP Pavilon dv6 notebook pc

I also use an old Apple iMac (2009 version) using el capitan operating system

Keep track of my day to day stuff on two Apple IOS based devices an Iphone X and a new iPad pro

I want to replace the old iMac with a new Ibook pro 16” 2019

Also have a 2017 iMac and another iPad with are part of the system but not used for money dance.

As an aside I have lived with glitches on the 2009 iMac and pc for a while. for example i can delete an erroneous entry on the PC but not the Mac. Do all my reconciling on the PC.

obviously I use drop box

Tom Reddy

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac