Sync with different Dropbox accounts

cowshill

22 Jun, 2020 05:33 AM

My wife and I want to share a single Moneydance file but we each have our own Dropbox accounts. Is it possible to sync using either of the two Dropbox sync methods without a common Dropbox account? We want to be able to sync to our mobiles as well. How do we best go about this? Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Jun, 2020 07:40 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi

You don’t state what your computer operating system is, Windows, Mac or Linux.
    I am a Widows 10 user and have tested the following on windows 10 computers. I have added some comments relating to Mac but as a non-Mac user can’t be certain they are correct. If you are a Mac user and try the process would be interested in feedback.

Also included info on syncing Android phone. Again, an Apple phone may be slightly different.

First take a look at the YouTube Tutorial video I put together on the process. Paste address into your browser https://youtu.be/xjvrdaqvCaA

Moneydance syncing between two computers with separate Dropbox accounts.

Set up Dropbox Folder syncing as follows:
    1. Select your primary computer and set up syncing FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SYNCING enter passphrase and select Dropbox Folder – OK.
    2. On your primary computer use File Explorer to navigate to the “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox Folder. Note on Mac “.moneydancesync” may be hidden, try in your Finder window, typing CMD-Shift-G and then pasting ~/Dropbox/.moneydancesync/ into the box to unhide.
    3. Right click on this folder and select SHARE to the right of the Dropbox symbol.
    4. In the window that opens send an email to the person with whom you wish to share.
    5. The recipient of the emails should click on the Dropbox icon to open its window not
    on the “Go to Folder” button in the email. You should see in the Dropbox icon window a note to the effort that “.moneydancesync” is waiting to be shared. Click “Add to Dropbox”.
    6. On the secondary computer wait until the “.moneydancesync” folder appears (on Mac you may need to unhide “.moneydancesync”) and the Dropbox icon registers it is up to date.
    7. On the secondary computer start syncing, FILE ( MONEYDANCE on Mac) – NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE – DROPBOX FOLDER – NEXT and highlight the Data Set to be synced – NEXT.
    8. Enter your password (passphrase) - FINISH.
    9. Data set should now sync.
    Mobile Device, syncing to Moneydance.
    1. Install moneydance on your Mobile Device, if already installed uninstall and reinstall.
    2. Open Moneydance on your Mobile Device.
    3. Click “Link Dropbox Account” button.
    4. You need to sign into the primary or secondary users Dropbox Account. Normally the primary user Dropbox Account, but both will work.
    5. On the screen “Moneydance would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox” click ALLOW.
    6. Select the data set you want to sync too.
    7. Enter your sync password (passphrase) and click Begin Syncing.

It’s that simple.

Hope that helps.

2. 2 Posted by cowshill on 22 Jun, 2020 08:26 AM

Thanks, Derek. That seems very clear. I won't be able to try it until a while later. I'll be syncing Macs and will post again after I have tried it. Thanks again.
    - Jim

3. 3 Posted by carlvaughanxk4 on 10 Jul, 2020 02:31 PM

thank you very much, the article helped me a lot!

4. Maddy closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2020 08:14 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac