Data and backup files rationalisation

davidvernonlong

31 May, 2022 02:41 AM

I find I have data files and backup files all over the place, on my PCs so I get confused and am using up disk space, so need advice on a logical structure. I have MD on 2 PCs and an Android device, and use Dropbox to sync. I also sync folders on my PCs using the Dropbox app.,
My questions are:
Should I backup MD on a Dropbox folder, and is it OK if both PCs backup to the same shared folder or should I set up a separate folder for each PC?
Should the MD Documents folder be local folders on each PC, not on a shared Dropbox folder?
And, should the MD sync file, which is in Dropbox, be synced by the Dropbox App so that it is in a shared folder on my PC, or is it best not to sync that folder to my PCs?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 31 May, 2022 05:21 AM

• It's fine to backup to a dropbox folder. Many people do this as then the backup is also backed up into the cloud.
    • As for all sync copies sharing the same backup folder. I would not do this... I would create a subfolder for each.... e.g. dropbox/moneydance_backups/master_mac and dropbox/moneydance_backups/secondary_windows. Many would argue you do not need to backup sync copies, but it doesn't hurt. If they share the same backup folder, then depending on names, they might start interfering with each other.

• the MD Documents folder should always be local, and NEVER on a cloud folder.

• the dropbox MD sync file.... If you use dropbox folders then it MUST be sync'd by the DB App. If you are using DB Connections, then it doesn't matter.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 31 May, 2022 06:04 AM

Like Stuart I would have separate backup folds for each system. It ensures there will be no interference and it can give additional data points to restore from. While there are subtle differences between primary and secondary data sets dealing with this is minor compared to having a more complete backup of the needed data.

When you are using DropBox Connection there is no shared data location on your local machine, hence there is only a Dropbox MD sync folder if you are using DropBox Folder and as Stuart says Dropbox must sync this using its own application.

3. 3 Posted by davidvernonlong on 26 Jun, 2022 10:39 AM

Thanks, followed your advice exactly and much better

4. davidvernonlong closed this discussion on 26 Jun, 2022 10:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac