Calculating a Budget Automatically

Mike

04 Mar, 2017 12:55 PM

Hi there,

I am trying to use the instructions here: http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/budgeting/can-moneydance-automatically-calculate-my-budget to automatically create my first budget.

When creating a new budget, I do not get the same window shown in the article. I get a small window that asks me to name my budget and pick type (monthly, etc.) There are none of the other windows or dialog boxes as shown.

Once I've created a budget, the Edit button, when pressed, highlights, but all it seems to do is change the main Moneydance window to the budget. I still don't get any dialog boxes.

I've read the 3 FAQs in the Moneydance2017 FAQ on budgeting but I have failed.

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 04 Mar, 2017 02:07 PM

Hi Mike,

I'd recommend looking at this article which details both budget formats available within Moneydance.

After navigating to Tools --> Budget Manager, you can create and name your budget. Once you've done this, you should close the budget manager window, and select the budget in the left sidebar, from the Moneydance register.

If you're using the 'Newer' budget format, you should see all your budget items displayed by default. If you're using the 'Older Mixed Interval' format budget, you can select 'Edit' at the top right of the register to begin creating the budget.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Michael Hodos on 04 Mar, 2017 02:44 PM

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I read all of those articles and can’t seem to get things to work as described. Maybe if I try to explain myself better and use some visual aids. :)

The article that demonstrates how to have Moneydance create a budget automatically, does not seem to work. I had no problem creating my budget, selecting it in the sidebar, and going back to the budget manager. However, when clicking edit nothing happens. How do I get to the screen that has the "calculate "button?

I can’t seem to figure out how to get to this dialog:

When I click “New” I get this dialog box:

And if I go back to the Budget Manager and press “Edit” from this window, nothing seems to happen.

How can I have Moneydance calculate my budget automatically, or how do I get to the dialog that says “Calculate?”

I hope I have explained myself better.

Thanks again,

Mike

3. 3 Posted by John on 04 Mar, 2017 06:37 PM

When you create your budget, you HAVE to select MIXED INTERVALS from the dropdown box underneath the name box. That style will then let you auto calculate from past periods actual spending by selecting the newly created budget, selecting EDIT at the top of the budget window, then the CALCULATE button at the top of the edit window that opens.

It is quite apparent that budgeting functions in MD have a LOOONNNNGGG way to go, most critically, I do not need a budget of EVERY category that is set up, or EVERY account. There is NO means that I can find to address BOTH of those criticisms simultaneously.

4. 4 Posted by Mike on 04 Mar, 2017 06:58 PM

John,

Thank you so much, and I apologize if I missed that detail, that i must pick "Mixed Intervals" to get the dialog that asks MD to calculate my budget. I had chosen Monthly, as that's how I pay nearly all of my bills, and how I get paid.

Thank you again,

Mike

5. 5 Posted by winlogan on 27 Mar, 2017 09:59 PM

Could someone please update the Knowledge base article with the above post by John. Nevermind, John's solution doesn't work consistently, ought to remove the knowledge base article (or maybe even fix the software).

6. System closed this discussion on 26 Jun, 2017 10:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac