Envelope Budgeting - any updated guidance?

Paul Gauntlett

20 Mar, 2017 01:30 PM

As a fan of envelope budgeting (budgeting available funds to zero) I was interested to find this discussion from early 2016:
http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/budgeting/537-looking-for-comprehensive-guide-on-setting-up-envelopezero-budget

This is a useful suggestion but the weakness (or at least as I perceive it) is that spending in a particular "envelope" might be through a number of different accounts and cards - whereas the system helpfully suggested by Jenny would appear only to work where all expenditure is through one account.

My questions are:
1) Was the Knowledge Base in fact ever updated with a topic on Envelope Budgeting? I cannot find one.
2) Is the best solution currently just to use the MoneyPie extension? It certainly looks very much like an envelope system and clearly shows when income becomes available to allocate to an envelopes - and allows funds to be moved between envelopes to cover overspending.
3) Am I right in thinking that there is however no solution currently that allows this months income to be held back and notionally allocated against next months expenditure (thus giving a one month buffer rather than relying on this months income arriving on time)?

I am truly impressed with how customisable Moneydance is. I keep discovering "gems" whose potential "use cases" are not fully documented without a huge search of the forums.

1. System closed this discussion on 19 Jun, 2017 01:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac