MD Changes Negative Budget Amounts to Positve Amounts When Reporting - Many are having this problem

Sailer_right

03 Oct, 2017 01:56 AM

I'd like to ask MoneyDance to re-open the following blog, as I too am having the same problem as others have reported.
I have some categories which are net negative in some months, and I like to adjust my budget as I move through the year, so I can plan on more of an actual cashflow basis.

For example: My wife will buy some clothes and return some of them later. If these don't happen in the same month, I can potentially have a negative actual amount spent on the following month when she returns the clothes. Rather than show one month as being over budget and the next one being under budget, I like to adjust the budget as I move along during the year. This is because I budget conservatively and as I find I don't actually incur the amount of expense I planned for, I like to "free up" the budget going forward.

Quicken let you enter a negative budget amount and it would show no variance if the negative budget amount would equal the negative actual amount. Why does MoneyDance force incorrect math when doing this comparison? The logic should always be actuals menus budget and not reverse the signage.

Here's the link of others who have reported this before me:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/budgeting/981-negative-budgeting-amounts

1. 1 Posted by Sailer_right on 03 Oct, 2017 01:41 PM

Hello - I have researched this further and it seems to be a bug. Here's an example.
    I have confirmed that my Gift expenses is recording properly as an Expense when I run the Detailed Income and Expense report. However, when I run the Budget report - MD reports the expense categtory Gifts under income.

This is really weird.

2. System closed this discussion on 02 Jan, 2018 01:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac