Exceptions to Categories in a Budget

srp

27 Feb, 2018 09:34 PM

I would like to use the old style budgeting, by category, and by month, but occasionally there's a transaction I don't want counted against the budget (one that I will be reimbursed for, sometime in the future), but ultimately remains in that category. In Mint, I would use a tag that I could specify not be counted in the budget.

Is there a similar feature in MD - make exceptions via a tag, or some other way to manage what I would like to do?

I'm open to alternate ways of thinking about it - thanks for any ideas.

1. 1 Posted by Lucafin on 01 Mar, 2018 12:36 AM

Could I suggest that you open an asset account, in the name of your payer, or even call the account Sundry Debtors if you have several payers. When you incur expenditure that will be reimbursed, you would categorize the transaction to the Sundry Debtors account. This would enable you to exclude the transaction from your budget, but still keep a record of it. You also gain a good reference of monies owed to you. When the reimbursement is subsequently received, you would categorize that transaction to the Sundry Debtors account and thereby zero its balance.

2. 2 Posted by srp on 06 Mar, 2018 04:29 AM

Thanks @lucafin - a good idea - I think it will work for me.

3. srp closed this discussion on 06 Mar, 2018 04:29 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac