Option to Set Budget Amounts by Copying Actuals from Same Month Last Year

kgirolim

16 Jan, 2019 08:28 PM

I wish there was a lot more flexibility in budgeting. For example, I would like to set my budget for this year, by copying the actual from the same month of last year for each category. Living in a cold climate in the Northern Hemisphere, for example, I spend a lot of money in the winter months heating my house - and none in the summer. By contrast, I use more water in the summer, when I have a garden to maintain, than in winter when all of outdoors is dead or dormant. I spend more on gifts in some months than others, based on when major holidays and my particular family/friends' birthdays are. These patterns tend to recur anually. Therefore the most accurate budget for January 2019 would start with figures from January 2018. December's gift budget should certainly rely on last December, not the immediately preceding November. As it happens, I celebrate Christmas by giving gifts to all and sundry, and have a large number of family and friends with December birthdays as well, but have only 2 people to buy birthday presents for in November. If I used November numbers to predict December, I would be WAY off.

Overall, I would like to be able to see my budget for all months of the year, not just last, current, and this month. Any prospect of improvements to budgets upcoming?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 16 Jan, 2019 08:36 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The developer has said he wants to improve on budgeting but there is no time frame on this.

2. 2 Posted by mhoggie on 17 Jan, 2019 12:54 AM

just a user,

You might want to set up your budget using the Old Style Mixed Interval option. It allows you to set start and end dates for every budget item. You could set up a budget for electricity for example to start and end during the winter months and start and end in the summer months with different values for each period.

3. System closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2019 01:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac