Help setting up amounts for each budget catergory

Jacquie

19 Jan, 2019 07:36 PM

I am very new to the programme and would like to monitor my spending on Groceries and travel expenses each month - how do I set a monthly budget and then monitor my progress against it?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 19 Jan, 2019 07:48 PM

Hello,

We have detailed instructions on setting up a budget with screenshots at http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/budgeting-2

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have if you run into problems with that process.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. Ethan closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2019 07:48 PM.

3. jacquiekeelan re-opened this discussion on 19 Jan, 2019 08:06 PM

4. 2 Posted by jacquiekeelan on 19 Jan, 2019 08:06 PM

Hi Ethan

Thank you for the speedy response. I’ve looked at the screenshots and managed to list a budget but not set the amount I’d like to put limit it to across a month - Currently the bar displays in white and says Not in budget where the total spending limit would be. What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Jacquie

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 19 Jan, 2019 11:14 PM

Hello Jacquie,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're describing. Can you attach a screenshot of what you are seeing? If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, please see http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 4 Posted by jacquiekeelan on 20 Jan, 2019 01:51 PM

Hi Ethan

Here’s the Summary screen

As you can see the budget bars are not recognising the totals I have set.

Regards

Jacquie

7. 5 Posted by jacquiekeelan on 20 Jan, 2019 02:01 PM

HI Ethan

I have now successfully got it to display my Groceries budget on my summary page - Yippee!!! Is it possible to display the three variable budgets I have ( Groceries, Petcare and Car Expenses)

The second screen shows what happens when I try to add these in to the Budget manager.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

Jacquie

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jenny on 22 Jan, 2019 12:33 PM

Hi Jacquie,

In the screenshot you've sent, it looks as though you have created 3 seperate budgets called 'Personal:Groceries', 'PetCare' and 'Petrol'. These are listed in the left side bar (below your accounts).

Is there a reason you'd prefer for these budgets to be seperate, as you can include all categories within one budget if you prefer.

I think there may be some confusion, as the budget bars on the Summary page are seperate from the budget manager you're referring to.
    To access the manager, choose Tools --> Budget Manager. This will open the Budget Manager window (as seen in this article. You'll see your budget names listed here.

To access the budget, close the manager window and select the budget name in the left side bar. This will open the budget register.
    Can you let me know if you're using the 'Newer' budget format, or the 'Older Mixed Internal' format? You can find details of both budget types in this section of the knowledge base.

If you're not sure, can you send a screenshot of each budget register?
    You can read instructions for taking a screenshot here - https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 7 Posted by jacquiekeelan on 22 Jan, 2019 12:42 PM

Hi Jenny

Thanks for your response. I would like to keep each item Groceries, Pet Care and Petrol separate if possible. I wanted to have the bars showing how far along I was on each month’s spend in each category as the month continues.

I hadn’t realised that the bars were separate from the Budget Manager tool - but it’s the bars that are the most useful to me so they are the things that I would most like to have working to help me monitor spending. (Hope that makes sense!)

In Budget Manager I was using the interval tool

Regards

Jacquie

10. Support Staff 8 Posted by Jenny on 22 Jan, 2019 01:02 PM

Hi Jacquie,

When you're viewing the budget bars on the summary page, click the 'settings' button at the top right of the budget bars panel.

In the window that opens, you can specify the budget you want to use at the top.
    You can only choose one budget at a time, which is why I'd recommend you have one budget that contains all the categories you'd like to budget for.

In the settings window, you can also choose which categories within the budget you want to display in the budget bars. You'll only be able to specify categories that are included within the budget you've selected.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

11. System closed this discussion on 23 Apr, 2019 01:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac