How to get Credit Card & Loan Accounts to Show in Budget?

Jeff Ptak

10 Sep, 2019 08:00 PM

I am trying to figure out how to use the budgeting tool in MoneyDance 2019.3 (1880). I created a new budget. I see all the categories, but what is missing and I can't seem to figure out how to get them to show are credit card accounts and loan accounts.

How can I get those accounts to show up in the budget?

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 10 Sep, 2019 10:52 PM

just a user,

Currently, MD will not pickup any transfer between accounts in the budget. For instance if you want to budget a certain payment to a credit card account, MD will ignore that transaction in the budget. It did use to work a few years ago using the mixed-interval method, but it not longer works. But there are methods to allow MD budget to pick up those payments. Here is a link to the method I use.
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/budgeting/2151-how-can-i-show-loan-principal-payments-in-my-budget

Mike

2. 2 Posted by JR on 18 Sep, 2019 11:35 PM

Hi Jeff - To add loan accounts to your budget you will need to use the "mixed interval" budget format. The "newer budget format" does not (yet) track account-to-account transfers, though I am led to believe it will in the future.

Credit card accounts will not be shown in the budget regardless of the format. Instead you will need to budget the end category you are spending on (ie, food, auto, rent, entertainment, etc) instead of budgeting your payment to the credit card company. The thread Mike mentions is a good one to reference, as both he and I discuss our approach to budgeting and the suitability of MD to accommodate each (Hi Mike!).

JR

3. System closed this discussion on 18 Dec, 2019 11:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac