Actual budget amount is incorrect

Donna F

01 Feb, 2020 04:24 AM

In several categories the actual amount in the budget report is exactly double the amount that was actually spent

1. 1 Posted by Donna F on 01 Feb, 2020 04:32 AM

The budget amounts of $85.47 and $94.48 are examples where the actual amount shows double.

2. 2 Posted by mhoggie on 01 Feb, 2020 03:20 PM

just a user,

Have you looked at your transactions related to the budgeted item? I would expect that possibly Decembers or February's debit transaction must have posted in January.
    I've had that happen at times when the payment date is at the end or first of the month and the account payments get posted in the next or previous month due to the way the payment date floats around at most banks and utilities. Once I determine that I just alter the date to push the transaction in the correct month.

3. 3 Posted by Donna F on 02 Feb, 2020 12:09 AM

Reply to Just a user:

Both payments come out the 16th of the month so I doubt this is the problem.

Today when I looked at my budget expenses, the actual shows double the amount but the budget amount has changed. I checked my budget setup and it has not changed. So not only is the actual amount showing incorrectly, now the budget amount is incorrecdt as well.

4. 4 Posted by mhoggie on 02 Feb, 2020 02:24 AM

just a user,

Here is something to try. Click Edit, Advanced search, enter your budget category in the account field and search. That should find the related transactions like the budget feature would find.

Mike

5. 5 Posted by Donna F on 04 Feb, 2020 10:17 PM

The related transactions are correct. For example, there is one $94.48 transaction, but the budget still shows that $188.96 was spent. I am still hoping for a response from Moneydance to find the cause of this problem.

6. 6 Posted by Donna F on 05 Feb, 2020 07:56 PM

I found the problem! I use the reminders and they are entered automatically. Despite settings my preferences to merge downloaded transactions, both the entered reminders and the downloaded transactions combined to show the total amount, which was double what it should be.

I found the error by using the mixed interval budget. Whenever I saw an amount that I knew was wrong, I went to the transactions filter page. By clicking on that page, you get the option of sorting by category. I could then go to each category that was wrong and see the transactions. The downloaded transactions were marked with an x while the reminders weren't. I could then highlight the reminder, click on it, and I was then taken to another page where I could delete it.

7. 7 Posted by mhoggie on 05 Feb, 2020 11:50 PM

Just a user,

I forgot about the option to auto merge downloads. I never trusted MD to set the right category, so I always manually confirmed. Good choice to use the mixed interval budget mode. That's the best way to go. Only downside I've found to MD budgeting is the inability to budget transfers between account, like loan payments. Otherwise, it works well for me and I can watch the budget status bar and various reports to detect changes I may need to make in spending or budgeting.

8. System closed this discussion on 07 May, 2020 12:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac