Spurious budget item & balance

samou812

10 Mar, 2020 03:23 PM

Using 2019-3(1880) version. I had created my mixed interval budget for calendar 2020, posted January transactions, and generated reports. For 2019 I had only posted expense transactions, this year I decided to add income. After posting and reporting January, I discovered some errors on my budgeting, among which was leaving out one recurring income item. I added it, but the budgeted amount did not immediately show on report. I discovered that I needed to click the "recalculate" control (duh!) After that, the item did show correctly.

However, I also had some spurious items show up, I believe concurrently. I'm showing a budgeted $127.35 monthly expense against not a category, but the name I gave this entire budget "2020 Budget Inc/Exp". It does show in the Budget Manager the same as it is presented in the report, but I have no recollection of adding it (nor would I know how to add a named item not represented by a category). Even stranger, it is showing an $1307.46 CREDIT (0 - 127.35 - 1180.11) against "2020 Budget Inc/Exp" on the Budget report., which makes the entire report appear $1307.46 more favorable than I believe it really is. I can find no foundation for that amount in my posted transactions. Strangest of all, if I narrow the date scope of the Budget report to 01/01/2020 to 01/01/2020, that $1180.11 amount still appears.

I can manually adjust these numbers to accommodate this glitch after exporting to a worksheet, but I don't think I should need to do that. It also causes me concern about what else might be reported incorrectly that is not as obvious. I have now posted February as well, and have an additional concern that I might not be able to fix this without wiping out my previous work. Is it possibly that I somehow inadvertently imported something from my previous budget, even though it is outside my selected date range for 2020 budgeting? Any suggestion on where to look for the root cause of this issue? Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by samou812 on 04 Apr, 2020 04:28 PM

I am making this question public, as it has elicited no response from support in nearly four weeks. Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this problem (it's not fatal for the way I use the app, but it is quite annoying :-|

2. 2 Posted by mhoggie on 05 Apr, 2020 12:15 AM

just a user,
    I've used the mixed interval budget for several years, both income and expense. I'm not familiar with the "recalculate" button. All I ever do to click edit on my budget, change the budget items as needed along with the start and end dates and click OK. I think the calculate button on the edit page is for setting up a new budget from scratch. I remember using that in the beginning, but quickly learned it worked better to just enter my own budget items and amounts as needed. Maybe the Recalculate grabbed some other budget info . Look at you listing and see if everything shown is correct. Also be aware that the program will not pick up amounts transferred between accounts without some special work around solutions. So if your making payments to a loan or income from an investment account, MD will ignore.

3. System closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2020 12:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac