Budget Manager Intervals for Mixed Intervals

Rich W

15 Mar, 2020 11:29 AM

Hi
I have set up a Mixed Intervals Budget using the Budget Manager, and I have a credit which comes into my account every 4 weeks (not monthly). Which Period Entry should I use to record an entry every 4 weeks please in the Budget manager. I have been able to do it in reminders, but I cant understand which option to use in the Budget Manager. All advice is very much appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 15 Mar, 2020 04:30 PM

just a user,

I would just use the monthly interval. You will always capture one credit each month and sometimes two. You could always add another budget entry to capture that additional monthly credit for those extra months if needed. That's what I like about the mixed interval setup. You can tweak it a dozen different ways. The only issue I'm aware of is the need for extra steps to capture loan payments and also the issue with running reports with annual budget entries. MD comes up with some weird numbers when running budget reports with annual categories.

2. 2 Posted by Rich W on 15 Mar, 2020 05:50 PM

Hi mhoggie
    Thank you for the advice. That is how I have set it up at present, but it does seem a bit odd that I can’t set up a 4 week cycle. I’ve been racking my brains to see if there is a cycle that can be used with some of the other options, but aside from adding 13 one off entries per year, I can’t work it out. And I would then have to set another 13 up for every year hence - it all sounds a bit obscure as 4 weekly is a term that a lot of services and banks use, so I am surprised the software can’t cater for it.

Any other advice is absolutely appreciated.

Rich

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 15 Mar, 2020 07:19 PM

just a user,

Here is what I was thinking. Lets say you were paid starting Friday Jan 4 2019 and afterwards every 4 weeks on Friday. You could set up your budget as monthly for the full year and one additional budget entry for an additional income just for the month of March 2019 where you would have 2 credits in one month. I'm thinking you want to stick to a monthly budget as much as possible because most of your other expenses are probably monthly. Reminds me of our technicians being paid every 2 weeks. They would have one month where they would have an extra check.

4. 4 Posted by Rich W on 15 Mar, 2020 07:49 PM

I will try it to get it to work, but I still find it odd that it isn’t an option. Maybe this will be added in a future release? I hope.

5. 5 Posted by Rich W on 08 May, 2020 01:54 PM

Hi Moneydance Support
    Is this an option to add entries to the Budget every 4 weeks (as well as the other options) that could be added in a future release please?

I couldn't get it to work, so I am closing it as it has already got a suggestion RFE raised

Rich

6. Rich W closed this discussion on 08 May, 2020 01:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac