Budget Panel and SubCategories

andy

13 Mar, 2021 05:06 PM

If I use settings for the Budget Panel and only specify 'Insurance' (which has no transactions) and I have subcategories 'Insurance:Automobile' and 'Insurance:Home' (each of which have a transaction), I do not see what I expect and what is shown is difficult to explain.

So assume 'Insurance' is 0.00 and 'Insurance:Automobile' and 'Insurance:Home' both have expense values, only one of the expense subcategories is shown (Insurance:Automobile).

What I am hoping (expecting) is if I add 'Insurance' as a category it would then show all expenses for 'Insurance' AND its subcategories (in this case Automobile and Home). In this way I would not have to add the subcategories individually - which would then show as separate bar graphs.

Here are some images demonstrating what I see (the first image is what is shown in the budget panel and the second image is the settings of the budget panel):

Note in image 1, only the Automobile expense is included in the tally when it clearly shows both subcategories in the itemized list.
MD version 2021 (2006)

A few other notes:

• the display panel time period is set at 'This month'

• the transaction is a split transaction (1 for each insurance payment) on a Credit Card

• oddly enough the same budget panel display for the 'Last Month' (which was entered exactly the same) shows correctly (the sum total).

My workaround is to display two bar graphs, 1 for each of the subcategories. But that is not quite what I wanted and what is shown is incorrect.

UPDATE #1: I have figured out the source of this issue and I have a workaround. In my budget for this month I updated the Insurance categories as follows:

Actual expenses

• Insurance:Home 127, Insurance:Automobile 237 ,

in Budget

• Insurance 0 of 375 , Insurance:Home 127 of 127 , Insurance:Automobile 237 of 0

in Budget Panel (Only 'Insurance' parent category is selected for display)

• Insurance: 237 of 375

I had a reason for not budgeting the automobile (at 0) but still having it as a subcategory.

In any event, the only way to display what I want (the 'Insurance' parent showing total actual-vs-budget) is to set the budget for the subcategories budget to 0 and the parent category with a sum total budget.

• Insurance 0 of 375 , Insurance:Home 127 of 0 , Insurance:Automobile 237 of 0

What I wanted was to budget the subcategories for the specific amount and to have the Budget Panel show the parent category total budget without having to set a budget for the parent, but that is not possible.

Note that setting 'Insurance' to 0 of 0 and defining the subcategories doesn't work either (it displays 0 for Insurance):

• Insurance 0 of 0 , Insurance:Home 127 of 127 , Insurance:Automobile 237 of 237
  1. 1 Posted by andy on 13 Mar, 2021 05:23 PM

This 3rd image shows the 'Last Month' bar graph which displays what I would expect.

2. System closed this discussion on 12 Jun, 2021 05:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac