MoneyDance is not working as shown, regarding Budgets

bdaniel

27 Feb, 2016 05:14 AM

Hello...

I am trying out Budgeting. I wish to have it budget based upon past expenses.

I am looking at the Knowledge Base article, and I see:
http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/program-basics/how-to-get-started-with-a-budget

However, when I follow those steps, I don't get to the same place. I open the Budget Manager, I click New, I specify "Monthly" and fill in the name, but that's all it shows me. Then I click the name of the budget in the Edit Budget List window, and click "Edit". It brings me to a full screen, as shown, but does not show me any of the options, anywhere, as shown in the Knowledge Base article I referenced. There is no "Calculate" Button that I can see!

How do I start a budget based upon last year?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 29 Feb, 2016 10:32 AM

Hi,

In Moneydance 2015, there are two budget formats - Mixed Interval/Older budgets, and the Newer budget format.

Go to Tools --> Budget Manager --> New. You can then enter the budget name and the period.

Selecting either Weekly, Biweekly, Monthly or Annually will create budget using this time period, and the newer budget format, which you can read about here. This is the budget type you have created.

When creating a budget, selecting 'Mixed Interval' as the period will create an older style budget, which can have categories with different time intervals. This is the budget you can see in the knowledge base article you have been reading. Create a Mixed Interval Budget, select it in the side bar, then you can select 'Edit' at the top right of the register which will show the 'Edit Budget' window.

To have Moneydance automatically calculate a budget based on your past spending, click the Calculate button in the Budget Editor window.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by bdaniel on 01 Mar, 2016 02:12 AM

Thank you, Jenny.

Either I am not understanding the instructions, or it simply is not working.

I created a new Budget and selected ‘Mixed Interval’. I edited the new budget and got the window that looks like the picture on the KB article.

I clicked “Calculate”. I filled out the page to create a budget that starts at the beginning of this year (1/1/2016) and is based upon last year, Monthly.

I clicked okay.

Nothing changes. No lines show up in the window. It’s exactly the same, empty budget as before.

I also noticed that if I press the “+” button (which doesn’t look like a button), nothing happens.

What’s going on?

->Brent

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 22 Mar, 2016 03:23 PM

Hi Brent,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response, I'm afraid I missed your last reply.

You should be able to select the '+' button in the 'Edit Budget' window. This will create a new 'line' in the window where you can select the amount, category, interval and dates for the entry.

If this isn't working for you, can you let me know the version of Moneydance you're currently running? To do this, go to Moneydance menu --> About Moneydance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by bdaniel on 23 Mar, 2016 01:12 AM

Hello…

I’ve largely given up on MoneyDance, but at this point I tried again. If I open the Budget Manager, and press Edit for the Budget, and then press Edit again to get the mixed-interval Edit Budget window, nothing happens after I go through the Calculate process. The interface becomes completely numb, in that I cannot press anything on the Edit Budget screen that will respond.

If I press the + sign before I press Calculate, it works, but if I do the Calculate function, set it up the way I pictured, nothing happens after that.

I’m using 2015.6 (1299).

->Brent

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jenny on 23 Mar, 2016 09:38 AM

Hi Brent,

If you'd like to give this another shot, I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version of Moneydance - version 2015.7, build 1358. The most recent version has fixed a couple of issues with the budget view which may resolve the issues you're seeing.

If you purchased MD from our site directly, you can download the most recent version here. If you purchased via the App Store, I believe you can upgrade via the App Store 'Upgrades' tab.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

6. System closed this discussion on 22 Jun, 2016 09:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

09 Apr, 2020 01:49 PM
09 Apr, 2020 01:43 PM
09 Apr, 2020 01:41 PM