entering budgeted amounts

Jared

09 Mar, 2016 02:02 AM

Hi,

I am trying to create a monthly budged for the entire year. I have manually entered each budgeted amount in the first month and then click on the "copy and rollover previous period" for the next month. My issue is that if there are no expenses listed for that category, every time the budget is rolled over it doubles instead of adding the original amount. i.e if my budget is $50/mo the second month shows $100 but the third shows $200, the fourth would be $400 (not $200 like it should be. 4 months X $50). Is there an easy way to set up all 12 months in advance with out manually entering each category for each month? I am trying out the free trial and up till now really like Moneydance.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 15 Mar, 2016 11:33 AM

Hi Jared,

Unfortunately we are aware of a bug in Moneydance, which I think you may have encountered. The rollover function is copying the amount budgeted in the previous month, adds the amount of that unspent from that month, and that's budget for the next month. As it is now, that original baseline amount appears to get lost after the first rollover.

There is already a bug ticket for this in our system, and I have attached the ticket to this discussion. I'll pass your feedback to the developers, and I will be sure to update you when the issue is resolved.

Until a fix has been implemented, i'm afraid you'd need to enter the amounts manually. Alternatively, you could create a new budget within Tools --> Budget Manager, and select the period as 'Annually', however, I can understand wanting to budget month by month.

Another feature which you may find useful, is to create a new budget and select the period as 'Mixed Interval' - this will create a Mixed Interval budget, which you can read more about here. With this format of budget, you can automatically calculate a budget based on your past spending.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by SarahNJared on 21 Mar, 2016 12:44 AM

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for getting back to me, it is nice to know there are companies that
    actually have real people answering our questions.

Do you have any idea on a timeline of when that update will be
    completed? That feature is pretty important for our budget and I will
    probably wait and get the latest version that has that update.

Thanks again,

Jared

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 21 Mar, 2016 01:40 PM

Hi Jared,

Unfortunately I'm unable to provide a timescale for when this issue will be resolved.

If you want to purchased Moneydance 2015, then the upgrade to MD 2016 will be free (when available) and any future upgrades will be discounted for you.

However, we'll notify you of any updates on the bug ticket within this discussion, so we'll let you know when this is resolved if you'd rather wait.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

4. System closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2016 01:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac