Per-account Budgeting Request

Ray

28 Mar, 2016 02:38 PM

I saw in a previous ticket that the ability to create budgets that pertain only to specific accounts isn't currently in MD2016, but that there's a ticket to consider developing it. I'd like to add my vote for this functionality.

An example of a use case: My wife and I have a central bill paying account, and each have a separate "discretionary spending" account. I'd love to be able to set different budgets for each without having to create a lot of new categories.

Thanks for your consideration of this functionality!

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 06 Apr, 2016 10:39 AM

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately, it's currently not possible to do this, however there's a ticket in our system requesting this functionality, as you've mentioned, so I've attached it to this discussion. I'll pass your feedback to the developers, and we'll notify you within this thread of any updates.

The only way to accomplish this currently is by using a work around: you can create a set of categories that you only use in the account that you want to budget, (you may wish to name them 'account name - category name'. You can create multiple budgets, and use the 'account name 1' categories in the first budget, and 'account name 2' categories in the second. However I understand this may not be suitable if you have lots of categories and accounts to be included.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your feedback.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Ray Toler on 06 Apr, 2016 11:04 AM

Ian,

Thank you for the response and suggestions. As you note, having redundant
    categories for each account quickly gets overcomplicated and error-prone.
    For the time being, I'm actually doing that tracking manually in Excel. I
    hope per-account budgeting is added in a future update, but I'm still very
    happy with MoneyDance!

3. System closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2016 11:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac