Can't copy budget from previous month

David Misenheimer

09 May, 2016 11:12 AM

I am new to Moneydance and am trying to set up a monthly budget. I created a budget for January 2016 and would like to copy it to the following months. I am having 2 problems. First, Moneydance is very slow when I do something like click to move to the next month. It takes about one minute to display the next month. Secondly, when I right click on the current month so that I can set up the budget I don't get the drop down selections. I am using version 2015.6 (1299). My PC is 64-bit and is running Windows 7 Professional.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 09 May, 2016 12:29 PM

Hi David,

The latest stable version of Moneydance is 2015.7, so if you're running an older version you can download this from here. This version includes some updates to the budget performance.

Can you let me know the budget type you're using? There are two budget formats available within Moneydance, the 'newer format' and the 'mixed interval/older' format.
    When creating a budget, selecting Weekly, Monthly etc will create a newer format budget which you can read more about here.
    Selecting 'Mixed Interval' when creating will use the older style budget where categories can be added with differing time intervals. You can read more about this budget type here.

If you can let me know the budget type you're currently using, (and would like to use) then I can provide instructions for getting setup, and we can work through the issues you've encountered.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by David Misenheim... on 09 May, 2016 02:46 PM

Jenny - I updated my Moneydance to the latest version (2015.7). The software is still very slow to respond. I want to use the newer format budget - monthly type. I created some budget items for January 2016, but when I right click on February 2016 to attempt to copy the budget amounts from January, I don't get any drop down choices.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 09 May, 2016 02:56 PM

Hi David,

I'm afraid it appears you've encountered a bug in Moneydance. There's an existing bug ticket in our system regarding this issue.

It appears that after selecting 'Copy Previous Period' in the new budget format, the prior periods budgets are locked and cannot be amended.
    I've attached the ticket to this discussion and we'll notify you within this thread of any updates. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I would recommend attempting to use the 'Mixed Interval' budget format, as this may be a possible workaround for you. Within this, you are still able to set the recurring frequency as 'Monthly'.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by David Misenheim... on 09 May, 2016 07:10 PM

I tried the 'Mixed Interval' budget format but couldn't get it to work.
    Unfortunately I need to request a refund for Moneydance. I purchased it a
    few months ago with high hopes that it would prove to be a more reliable
    money management software tool than Quicken. It took me a while to get all
    my accounts exported into Moneydance and up to date but I was not able to
    get the budgeting and reporting to work. At this point I am way behind in
    my financial planning and tracking and I can't afford any more time so I am
    purchasing the latest version of Quicken and going back to the devil that I
    know.

David Misenheimer

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jenny on 10 May, 2016 08:52 AM

Hi David,

I am sorry that our product did not meet your needs. I have asked our payment processing partners BMT Micro to process your refund. They will let you know when the process is complete from their end.

If you decide to try Moneydance again in the future, then please get in touch. We'd be happy to provide assistance to get you setup and started.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for your interest in Moneydance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by pdel on 13 May, 2016 09:27 PM

I'm having the same problem. I purchased and downloaded Moneydance about a week ago. I dont know what version I have. Please let me know when you have resolved this issue and the resolution. It would be impossible to use this budgeting system as it is.

7. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac