Initial Balance in Categories

Dee

17 May, 2016 09:24 PM

Though I've been using Moneydance for a couple months I'm still learning how to keep the books on software rather than a spreadsheet. I've made a few mistakes and now I'm trying to get those corrected.
  I have bank accounts and budget categories. I told Moneydance how much to budget for each category and it is keeping a running total of what is spent. So far so good. But--some of the categories had money in them left over from last year. I don't want to lose track of which categories the funds belong to. Starting with a zero balance in each category gives a distorted view and leaves money in bank accounts that isn't attached to the budget. How do I get the carried-over funds into the categories, not just into the correct bank account?
  Thanks for your help and support. I'm a fan of Moneydance and spread the word at every opportunity.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 May, 2016 02:26 PM

Hi Dee,

If I understand you correctly, you can rollover the remainder of the previous budget period by clicking on the down-arrow next to the Budget Date Range, then select 'Copy and rollover previous period'. (see screenshot)

HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by d. p. on 18 May, 2016 06:27 PM

Ah, that's terrific for the second year, but this is my first year with Moneydance. The previous budget period is on a spreadsheet Moneydance doesn't know about. Any hope of inputting the amounts I want to carry over from the spreadsheet? Thanks.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:27 AM
     Subject: Re: Initial Balance in Categories [Budgeting #705]

#yiv9440862345 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv9440862345 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 May, 2016 07:47 PM

Hi Dee,

I have to confess that I'm not a big 'Budget' guy so I might not be the best to answer your query.

Having said that, I'm not sure that there is a means to easily incorporate last years rollover amounts into the current year's budget when we are already 5 months into the current year.

I suppose that you could enter the desired line-item amounts into the December 2015 budget so that you have a record of them. Then manually add (rollover) those values into the existing January 2016 budget values. Rollover the new total to February and so on until you reach the current month to where you can instruct the program to 'Copy and rollover previous period'.

Or better yet...

Maybe someone more familiar with Budgets or someone from MD Support can chime in on this to offer you some of their expertise. :)

-Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by d. p. on 19 May, 2016 02:56 PM

Hi Kevin, I'm going to fiddle with that idea. BTW, if anyone else wants to jump in, I'm using an annual budget. Thought I might try setting a budget for 2015 and only enter the carryover amounts. Then try the rollover. If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:47 PM
     Subject: Re: Initial Balance in Categories [Budgeting #705]

#yiv6934170517 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv6934170517 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac