I need a course in budgeting

micath

02 Jul, 2016 02:06 PM

Is there a course/video etc. on budgeting ? I can't make sense of it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 02 Jul, 2016 02:17 PM

Hello,

There's not a video, but there's an entire chapter on it in our user guide (http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/user-guides/moneydance-2015-user-guide). I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. Ethan closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2016 02:17 PM.

3. micath re-opened this discussion on 02 Jul, 2016 02:45 PM

4. 2 Posted by micath on 02 Jul, 2016 02:45 PM

Hi Ethan,

I’m not sure where to start, I know so little.

On my Windows laptop I’ve set up a budget of sorts which seems OK except I can’t get the ‘Budget status Graph’ at the top of the screen to work.

Hope that’s an easy one to start with.

Regards

Mike

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 03 Jul, 2016 11:08 AM

Hi Mike,

As you're new to Moneydance, I'd recommend you have a look at this article which details the different budget types available within Moneydance - the newer budget format, and the mixed interval format. You'll find screenshots and details of each budget type and instructions for setting up your budget and using the available features.

Regarding the 'Budget Status Graph', can you provide some more details about how this is not working for you? You'll need to ensure you have set a budget for the current month before this will generate the relevant details. If you set values for the current month (centre column if you're using the newer budget format), does that fix the issue that you're seeing?

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 4 Posted by micath on 03 Jul, 2016 12:52 PM

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that, I read your linked article, which I confess I hadn’t seen before, and it clarified a couple of points, however when I got to, “Setting up a budget using the ‘Mixed interval’... ”

The first line of text says, “...by clicking on the “Edit” button in the upper right corner...”

Neither of my versions, the Apple or the Windows, has an edit button anywhere, so I soon lose faith, not to worry.

My main reason for e-mailing was to apologise, I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get my budget status graph to work, in frustration I gave up last night. On start-up this morning there it is, (the little ****).

Thanks for your help, I’ll struggle on for a while and recontact you next time I get into ‘frustration mode’.

Regards

Mike

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jenny on 03 Jul, 2016 01:36 PM

Hi Mike,

With the 'Mixed Interval' budget, you can set this up within Tools --> Budget Manager --> New, and select 'Mixed Interval' as the 'period'. Then close the 'Budget Manager' window, and select this new budget in the left sidebar. You should see an empty register. At the top right of the register, you'll see a small blue 'edit' button (in the same location as the 'New transaction' button when you're viewing an account). This will bring up the 'Edit Budget' window that you've seen in the previous article.

If you haven't seen them already, we have a number of 'Getting Started' articles here which may be useful for you. They detail getting setup and the basic MD features and functions.

I'll leave this discussion open, and you can let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

8. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 03:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac