Interface

Nick Baker

16 Aug, 2016 02:07 PM

When are you going to update the GUI - it's so dated and doesn't work properly.

Actually, that goes for the whole app. It's like something from 2005. It needs a complete facelift.

1. 1 Posted by Ian L on 17 Aug, 2016 11:15 AM

Hi Nick,

What version of Moneydance are you using? The 2015 version has a completely new interface, and there are more tweaks coming in the next major release.

Ian L
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Nicholas Baker on 17 Aug, 2016 11:52 AM

Hi Ian,

I have 2015.6.

My point is that the GUI look and feel is dated compared with, say, Intuit.

Moneydance also lacks UK bank integration, which means I have to manually update and reconcile monthly accounts. That’s a lot of unnecessary work. Intuit has this built in.

The budgeting screen actual vs budget is very basic and not visually appealing, to my eyes at least. Others may disagree.

The categories have no ‘roll-up’ function i.e. the parent category of related subordinate child categories should show the total of the sub-categories. Currently, it is just another category into which one can add any budget or category.

Overall, the interface here should be an Excel look alike, or something more familiar to finance departments.

Or you could look at the corporate SaaS budgeting and planning offerings such as Adaptive Planning <http://www.adaptiveinsights.com/products/adaptive-planning?utm_source=capterra&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=budgeting&utm_content=planning&utm_campaign=non-brand+3rdparty>.

Hope this helps and I look forward to the new release.

Regards

Nick Baker

2A Hamilton Road
    Summertown
    Oxford
    OX2 7PZ

E [email blocked]
    T +44 (0) 1865 436 411
    M +44 (0) 7785 576 368

3. 3 Posted by Ian L on 19 Aug, 2016 03:18 PM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding downloads, there are two methods that personal finance software can use to access your accounts: direct connect and web connect. With web connect, the software basically connects to your bank's website and downloads and imports OFX, QFX, QIF, and OFC files automatically. Direct connect actually connects to a server at your bank instead of their website and usually requires different login credentials than you would use to log into your banks website. From a user's perspective, these two connections look basically identical. Moneydance only supports automatic connections through direct connect and not web connect. Your bank is using web connect with Quicken. You can read our blog post here for more information on why we don't support this connection type currently.

We are looking at a number of improvements to our budgeting interface, though I don't have a timeline for those at the moment. I don't think we will look to mimic corporate software, though, since Moneydance is primarily personal finance software. What makes sense to a corporate accounting department can be very confusing to a home user. There are definitely improvements to be made, though.

Ian L
    Infinite Kind Support

4. System closed this discussion on 18 Nov, 2016 03:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac