Budget Roller Issues

Anna

22 Aug, 2016 01:23 PM

I am trying to switch to Moneydance and am manually entering budget numbers from our old software, but I am having problems with rollover. I entered our budget numbers from July and clicked "copy and rollover." Some of my numbers rolled over, but some didn't. For example, a $41 surplus in our Internet category rolled over correctly--August's budget says we have $82 in that category, which is good--but I also entered an $811 insurance payment into our Insurance category, which has a monthly budget of $127. For August it should then say that we are $684 over for that category, but instead it says that we have spent $0 in Insurance for the month. It did not register the rollover at all. Any suggestions? I would really like for Moneydance to work; I am very tired of Quicken and its mood swings. But I need to keep using the free trial until I know that rollover will work.

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 23 Aug, 2016 09:49 AM

Hi Anna,

Unfortunately we are aware of a bug in Moneydance, which I think you may have encountered. The rollover function is copying the amount budgeted in the previous month, adds the amount of unspent from that month, and that's budget for the next month. As it is now, that original baseline amount appears to get lost after the first rollover.

There is already a bug ticket for this in our system, and I have attached the ticket to this discussion. I'll pass your feedback to the developers, and I will be sure to update you when the issue is resolved.

Until a fix has been implemented, I'm afraid you'd need to enter the amounts manually.

A feature which you may find useful, is to create a new budget and select the period as 'Mixed Interval' - this will create a Mixed Interval budget, which you can read more about here. With this format of budget, you can still enter monthly budget amounts, and can automatically calculate a budget based on your past spending.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Anna Deutsch on 23 Aug, 2016 01:31 PM

Thank you for your reply. Is there any sort of anticipated timeline for
    getting this fixed? I don't have a ton of time to devote to my budgeting
    software, so I need to decide whether or not to cut my losses and run.

3. 3 Posted by Philip on 28 Aug, 2016 02:41 AM

I too am running into this issue. It seems to have been an issue for a number of months. Can you estimate when this will be fixed? The budgeting aspect is critical for the functionality of this program.

Thanks.

4. 4 Posted by Ian O on 29 Aug, 2016 06:58 AM

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately I'm unable to provide a timescale for when this issue will be resolved. We have a policy of not publishing release dates so as not to be held to a deadline - we find this results in higher quality releases. However, we'll notify you of any updates on the bug ticket within this discussion.

Sorry I can't provide more information at this time.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. System closed this discussion on 28 Nov, 2016 07:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac