Getting started with Budgeting

Bob Dietz

21 Sep, 2016 02:20 PM

We have Moneydance 2012 on OS 10.11.6 and it works great but we have never used the budget feature. Can't find the option to start using this feature nor information on how it works so can you guide me to get started? I am also considering upgrading to your 2015 version, would that help with budgeting? Does 2015 have the direct download connection worked out with Capital one visa cards yet ? - their credit cards company is not a listed option in 2012!

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 22 Sep, 2016 08:03 AM

Hi Bob,

There are two types of budget available for use within Moneydance.

You can read about the 'newer' budget format here. This can be selected by going to Tools --> Budget Manager --> New, and selecting the time period as Annual, Monthly, Bi-weekly or Weekly.

The other budget format is the ‘Mixed Interval’ budget format. This should be used when you're budgeting categories with different time intervals. You can read about Mixed Interval budgets here. This format can be selected in the same way, but by selecting 'Mixed Interval' as the time period.

With the newer style budgets, when 'Edit' has been selected, the register will change to show your budget within columns, with each category, and budget amounts shown. You can see a screenshot of this within the article I've included above.

With the mixed interval budgets, you'll need to select 'Edit', and then select the other 'Edit' button at the top right of your register. This will open the 'Edit Budget' window.

Unfortunately, Capital One credit cards still don't support Direct Connect, which Moneydance requires in order to talk directly to a bank. The best way to get your transactions into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download them from your bank's web site. You can download into QFX, QIF, OFX or OFC files (sometimes referred to as Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance. You can also open your bank's download page directly (after entering the appropriate address in the Account->Edit Account menu) by going to the menu bar and selecting Online->Open Account Website.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. System closed this discussion on 22 Dec, 2016 08:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac