What value does a separate budget for a parent category have

ghettopeter

11 Nov, 2016 11:58 PM

I am struggling to understand the reasoning behind being able to set a budget value for a parent category that is not the total of the sub-categories. For example, i define a "Variable expense" and the two sub-categories: "Groceries" = $200 and "Entertainment" = $100. So this means to me that i have a total of $300 variable expense budgetted. If however, i place a manually entered value in "Variable expense as well, what value does this have?

I am just trying to understand how best to use the budgeting features. Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 14 Nov, 2016 02:47 PM

Hi,

You would only need to put an amount in the parent category if you want to budget some for the general category. Otherwise, you can simply fill in the amounts in the subcategories.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thanks for using Moneydance.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by ghettopeter on 17 Nov, 2016 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. However, logically this does not make sense because if there are subcategories, then the parent category should show the total of all subcategories. The dividing up of a parent category into subcategories means that the money in the parent is divided among the subcategories. If you need a general holder either add a general subcategory or create a new category.

A feature that would greatly help would be the display of the total of the subcategories in the parent category when you are looking at the budget. I know that this is available in the report section but this requires me to print the report and then adjust the budget categories. Can you add this feature please.

3. System closed this discussion on 16 Feb, 2017 09:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac