How Do I Budget Just One Account?

rich

26 Nov, 2016 12:50 AM

Hi,

I am just starting to use the budgeting feature and I am noticing it lumps transactions from all accounts into the budget. It would be ideal to be able to choose which account(s) to actually budget for. For example, if I have just a checking and a savings account in Moneydance and I create a budget, I would want to be able to select just the checking account. That way I can budget for $XX a month for savings instead of having that zeroed out from the wash between the two accounts. Not to sound preachy, but saving should be part of any budget and I don't see an easy way to do this with Moneydance at the moment.

Is there a way to do this or at least a work around?

1. 1 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 15 Jan, 2017 09:28 PM

Hi Rich,

I wrote an extension called Money Foresight that I think might be helpful. You can install it from the Moneydance Extension Manager (Menu -> Extensions -> Manage Extensions...). I'm not sure how extensively you use the Moneydance budgeting features but Money Foresight will at least be able to show you the future cashflow of your checking account in the case where you have a transaction reminder set up to transfer money into your savings account regularly.

Happy to help with any questions you may have.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. 2 Posted by TonyRI on 18 Jan, 2017 01:11 PM

Hi Kevin,

I didn't know how else to contact you and I want you to know that I really like the extension that you've written. I have the updated version 39 and also like the Transactions and Categories features that you've added.

I did notice one thing that maybe you could work on for the next version, if possible. It certainly isn't a major issue, but it is something that I noticed in the Charts feature on both the Summary Page inset and, not quite as noticeable on the Full open extension window. The dates and amount seem to overlap when I click on the graph value near the top of the chart. The lower graph line presents the date and amount with adequate separation, however the chart's "y axis" doesn't seem to go high enough to allow display of the separated date and amount near the top. Difficult to describe in words, so I've attached a screenshot to show you what I mean.

Again, I am very happy with the extended capabilities that you've added to the Moneydance program (and that you allow people to use a free full-featured version). I just wanted to let you know of this presentation issue, in case you wanted to try to modify a future version. I'm also wondering if the paid version, with extended forecasting, would allow for a different presentation of the same chart(s). If I'm missing a setting somewhere, please advise.

Respectfully submitted and thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

Tony :)

PS I certainly didn't want to hijack this thread, I would have contacted you by another means, If I could find it via your website, or the extension itself.

3. 3 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 18 Jan, 2017 01:34 PM

Hi Tony,

Apologies, I really need to get some contact info on the website.

I recently set up a support email address: support at moneyforesight dotcom. Feel free to email me there any time.

The issue you point out is definitely something that I would like to fix. It has been a problem for a while and there is an existing ticket for it:
    https://bitbucket.org/mahanaroad/moneyforesight/issues/41/data-labe...

Give me a shout on the support email address if you want to discuss it in more detail.

Cheers,
    Kevin

4. System closed this discussion on 19 Apr, 2017 01:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac