Creating a complete budget

Melissa

07 Jan, 2017 08:47 AM

After spending more time than I like to think about getting all of my financial data into MD and cleaned up, setting up loans, etc., I have come to a screeching halt because apparently there is no way to create a complete budget that will actually tell me where my money is obligated each month.

If I cannot BUDGET for making loan and credit card (and other liability) payments, then the "budget" is completely useless - my mortgage payment, car payment, student loans, and other debt obligations are not only "part" of my budget, I could argue that they are the MOST IMPORTANT part of my budget, because I have to pay those FIRST before I can spend money in any other category I've set up. The way MD handles my budget now, I could spend thousands of dollars on restaurants and entertainment but never budget a penny for my mortgage, which is simply wrong.

Tell me I am misinterpreting this!!

1. 1 Posted by mgsnyder1 on 14 Jan, 2017 05:49 PM

I agree with you that's why I am switching back to YNAB.

2. 2 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 15 Jan, 2017 12:01 AM

Hi Melissa,

I wrote a Moneydance extension called Money Foresight that should help you achieve what you want. I wrote it mainly to do cashflow forecasting but I found that it effectively replaces the need for a budget in Moneydance.

You can install it from the Moneydance Extension Manager (Menu -> Extensions -> Manage Extensions...).

I'm happy to help if you have any questions about it.

Regards,
    Kevin

3. System closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2017 12:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac