Canadian Banks

norm

28 Mar, 2016 06:34 PM

Why has this been so hard? I noticed a number of questions on this topic already and am disappointed that Canadian banks are not included. I've been downloading my transactions into Moneydance manually for years and its a real pain. I gave mint.com a try and they can automatically download transactions from all of my banks, investments and credit cards? It doesn't, however, allow me to manually add an account for a site not supported so I don't get the whole picture.

I assume the standards used for connecting to the banks use/require standards in security and methods - this must be a fairly well known standard so why is Canada being left out?

1. 1 Posted by Ian L on 29 Mar, 2016 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, only one Canadian bank supports the standard we use called OFX direct connect. The others that are supported by Mint.com use web connect, which is basically just scrapping the webpages of each bank. As you can imagine, the web pages themselves are not at all standard, and so scrapping them all involves either a lot of time or a lot of money.

Supporting web connect is something that we are actively working on. It's no small task, though, and we've explored a number of options that ended up being dead ends. We hope to have something available in the near future, but I can't give a timeline for this feature release quite yet. I'm very sorry for the frustration this has caused!

Ian L
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by norm on 30 Mar, 2016 12:28 AM

Thank you for the detailed response.  That clears it up for me greatly.  Let's hope the other banks get their stuff together.

Norm

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device - via the TELUS Network
    Sent:March 29, 2016 6:44 PM
    To:[email blocked]
    Reply-to:[email blocked]
    Subject:Re: Canadian Banks [New Bank Requests #3158]

pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Unfortunately, only one Canadian bank supports the standard we use called OFX direct connect. The others that are supported by Mint.com use web connect, which is basically just scrapping the webpages of each bank. As you can imagine, the web pages themselves are not at all standard, and so scrapping them all involves either a lot of time or a lot of money.

Supporting web connect is something that we are actively working on. It's no small task, though, and we've explored a number of options that ended up being dead ends. We hope to have something available in the near future, but I can't give a timeline for this feature release quite yet. I'm very sorry for the frustration this has caused!

Ian L
    Infinite Kind Support

On Mon, Mar 28 at 11:34 AM PDT, norm wrote:

Why has this been so hard? I noticed a number of questions on this topic already and am disappointed that Canadian banks are not included. I've been downloading my transactions into Moneydance manually for years and its a real pain. I gave mint.com a try and they can automatically download transactions from all of my banks, investments and credit cards? It doesn't, however, allow me to manually add an account for a site not supported so I don't get the whole picture.

I assume the standards used for connecting to the banks use/require standards in security and methods - this must be a fairly well known standard so why is Canada being left out?

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Canadian Banks.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.infinitekind.com, visit this page

<!--end of _originalContent -->
  3. System closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2016 12:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac