Online Bank setup

Eddie Shaw

02 Jun, 2017 04:37 PM

I am trying Moneydance hoping to replace Quicken. My bank is NOT listed in the available institutions, I assume online banking, won't work for me. Is there not a way to manually login into my bank and download transactions to Moneydance.
Eddie

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Henry on 02 Jun, 2017 04:42 PM

Hi Eddie,

Can you let me know which bank you're trying to connect to?

If your bank isn't listed the best way to get your files into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download them from your bank's web site. You can download into QFX, OFX or OFC files (aka Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance. You can find the steps for manually importing your data in this article.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Eddie Shaw on 02 Jun, 2017 04:55 PM

Yes, it is Jefferson State Bank in San Antonio. It does work with Quicken. Also I was able to transfer the account data into Moneydance, but none of the transactions were categorized, is there a certain step I missed?
    Thank you,
    Eddie

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Henry on 02 Jun, 2017 05:12 PM

After the transactions have been downloaded they need to be confirmed.
    Moneydance attempts to recognize and auto-categorize transactions with similar payees and amounts, so once you have manually assigned a category to a transaction or changed it's description you can expect Moneydance to suggest the same category and/or description for similar transactions.

You can find more on that here.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Eddie Shaw on 02 Jun, 2017 06:26 PM

Henry, I apologize, I wasn’t particularly clear in my explanation. I exported the Quicken QDF account file to a QIF file and then imported the QIF into Moneydance. That is when none of the transactions were categorized. Is that typical?
    Eddie

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Henry on 02 Jun, 2017 06:43 PM

Hi Eddie,

Does you bank offer you QFX or OFX files? Those imports generally speaking are the easiest imports. Regarding QIF files there are a few workarounds on import inaccuracies, you can find them here.

Regarding you QIF import:
    Can you delete the new import by selecting all transactions and deleting them,
    then navigate to File > Import > select you QIF file > select "Import To: New Account", "File Source: From Another Program", and set the date, decimal character, and currency as desired. Click OK.
    It may take a few minutes to import your QIF file, this time will vary depending on the size and complexity of the file being imported.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

6. System closed this discussion on 01 Sep, 2017 06:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

15 Jul, 2019 07:21 PM
15 Jul, 2019 06:34 PM
15 Jul, 2019 05:29 PM